Driving-getting started

[quote=“Gman”]yeah if you have a car in mind, find out the insurance price before you buy it. might not be worth your while getting it, insurance could cost well over 2,000.

have a look here for some comparative costs. you’d be a bit between the first one and the fourth one, but probably closer to the first. http://www.itsyourmoney.ie/motorinsurancecomparison

I wouldnt be spending the full 8 on the car anyway. 6 at most, insurance and tax are big factors in the cost.[/quote]

True and you’d get a good solid starter car for 6k.
I was concerned about getting too good a starter car. I want it to be a good solid car but there is a balance there.
One that will last you a while.

Prices are falling hard and fast.

Is it still true to say the best deals are to be had up north?
My brother got an Audi A3 up there. My other brother is looking to go up there and get an Avensis soon.

[quote=“HBV*”]always amazed when i meet a 30 something jackeen who never learned to drive. Met one of these just last week, married man, 35, never sat behind a wheel the wife drives.
I cant process this information.[/quote]

don’t think its amazing at all…if you live in certain parts of dublin a car is a luxury more than a necessity…i.e ranelagh,rathmines,glasnevin,phibsboro,…you have a bus service…also have the luas now…most things could be in walking distance…Your probably relating it to living in the boonies where the nearest town is 15 miles away…didn’t learn to drive til I was 27…never had the need…

True, and one of the reasons I haven’t had the need for a car. I used to live in Phibsboro for a few years and to have a car would have been some waste of money.

no driving experience tho is a killer. insurance has come down a bit due to competition, but there are still companies that wont quote under 30’s males. The missus worked for an insurance company over a year ago, so wouldnt know by how much now they’ve come down, but would easily have been that and more then.

loads of cars to get now anyway, and absolutley rape lads on prices. offer way less than its being sold for and let them stew on it. plenty of options if they dont take you up on it.

I sat on a full driving license for two years without a car of my own. Never had the need either. Was then forced into buying one for work as I was going to be travelling around the country a lot. Despite not having to travel around a lot recentlty, and the car playing up, I have missed it terribly I must say.

Mad the way you take some things for granted.

Learning to drive at 26,didnt think people like you even existed,best of luck with it anyway,the boys are right stick with a Corolla,even if it does break down any half wit will be able to fix it for you,dont go below 2002 the Corollas before that burned more oil than petrol.

Pikeman where you based as regards lessons and where you hope to do test… if you plan to do test in wexford John Bail from castlebridge…

im paying about 1650 for insurance with full license u-23 female with penalty points and sister whos 17 1st provisional … hoping to get her test soon so that will reduce it…

go for no more than 1.2 to start with so you hit the cheap car tax bracket too…
and apply straight for your test in 6 months
get 2 r 3 lessons now and the 3 r 4 nearer to the test around the route etc

I could be wrong but I think you have to have your provisional licence for at least 6 months before you can apply for you full licence…

I’m 27 and don’t see the point in learning either. I’ll probably do it this year, but more for its own sake than any particular reason.

you can apply befoer the 6 months are up just cant sit you test till its up

[quote=“cailinlochgarman”]Pikeman where you based as regards lessons and where you hope to do test… if you plan to do test in wexford John Bail from castlebridge…

im paying about 1650 for insurance with full license u-23 female with penalty points and sister whos 17 1st provisional … hoping to get her test soon so that will reduce it…

go for no more than 1.2 to start with so you hit the cheap car tax bracket too…
and apply straight for your test in 6 months
get 2 r 3 lessons now and the 3 r 4 nearer to the test around the route etc[/quote]

Probably do them down in Enniscorthy at weekends I’d say.

I didnt learn to drive until i was 18 and i was the laughing stock of the parish,thats the difference between us muldoons and you cityfolk,we needed the driving skills for drawin in bales etc.

I think the fact I’m in the same boat as Pikeman confirms Wexford’s status as an urban county.

Either that or you both have mates who you like to scrounge lifts off :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure if they’re going the same direction…

Exactly. We need more car sharing in this day and age.

My Carbon Footprint is exemplary.

The amount of fellas who cant drive on this site is alarming,it must be about 300% higher than the national average,are ye all pale faced nerds who have no lives outside of a computer screen or whats the story.How could a lad pull a woman when he has no car?,i cant understand it.

id say half these lads claiming they cant drive grew up robbing cars and burning them out on Saturday nights.

I’ll answer in the third person in order to assume an air of self importance, ala Alan Shearer.

Q. Is Bandage a pale faced nerd who has no life outside of a computer screen?
A. Yes, emphatically.

Q. How can Bandage pull a woman when he has no car?
A. Bandage doesn’t require an automobile to approach messily drunk women in seedy nightclubs.