Driving-getting started

what drive-through nightclub do you go to then?..:confused:

I usually make sure the woman has a car so I can scrounge lifts off her.

I’m 24 and can “drive” from just driving the oul lad’s car round the driveway and sometimes when going down to the bog.

However never did theory and so don’t have the provisional. If I was living at home now I’d be the laughing stock of the parish. Have thought about buying a car but think it’d be the biggest waste of money if I only used at weekends. (And it wouldn’t even be every weekend either)

Them corrola hatchbacks are the job, mother has one. Lovely drive and fine and zippy.

Started going back up again I think

just tell them you got bagged coming home from the pub…it’ll buy you 2 years to get your licence…:smiley:

Two more random points

• When you start driving you will quickly get to know Dublin & rest of country a lot better. When you are being driven/bus etc you dont pay a blind bit of notice where you are going!

• Father said it to me the day I bought first car. He said if anything will break you its the car. It is a constant expense, outside of loan repayment and petrol you will need to insure it tax it service it, maybt NCT it, change of tyres. And thats without it breaking down. So its grand to learn to drive and all, but I wouldnt buy a car myself if I didnt really need it.

[quote=“dancarter”]Two more random points

• Father said it to me the day I bought first car. He said if anything will break you its the car. It is a constant expense, outside of loan repayment and petrol you will need to insure it tax it service it, maybt NCT it, change of tyres. And thats without it breaking down. So its grand to learn to drive and all, but I wouldnt buy a car myself if I didnt really need it.[/quote]

depends on the car I suppose…i’ve a toyota and have driven it into the ground…crashed it 4 times…just paint work damage mainly (pillars twice, lampost once,the final dent I don’t know were it came from)…never got the dents fixed…not worth it…fcukin engine would go for ever though…30 petrol would do me for about 10 days…

In fairness toyotas are great cars, especially the corolla, they might not be the best to look at or the best to drive but if you look after it any bit at all, service it when it is needed and keep her ticking over then they would nearly go around the clock for you…Was talking to a mechanic a few years ago myself when I was going purchasing and he told me the old type corolla engines(mid 1990s version) would do 300,000 miles not a bother…

I know a few lads with Corolla vans that are up to 250k +, and the clocks were probably stopped for a good few years of there lives!!!

The toyota dyna vans are making serious money…The ones all the travellors/knackers have…

Some yolks to take punishment…

Pikeman, you could do a lot worse than invest in one of them…You could load the strawberries and spuds in the back of it

Insurance and tax are a cunt. It only really hit me the second year though. I got my first car, shelled out over 3k for insurance, 400 for tax and thought lovely, sorted now. Then 1 year on it has to be paid again. Shit, forgot it’s an annual thing.

5 years no claims bonus in my own name and i’m still paying over 900 on insurance. Ridiculous.

It’s an expensive game when you just have a car for handiness more than anything.

[quote=“Jugs”]Insurance and tax are a cunt. It only really hit me the second year though. I got my first car, shelled out over 3k for insurance, 400 for tax and thought lovely, sorted now. Then 1 year on it has to be paid again. Shit, forgot it’s an annual thing.

5 years no claims bonus in my own name and i’m still paying over 900 on insurance. Ridiculous.

It’s an expensive game when you just have a car for handiness more than anything.[/quote]

Is that fully comp? I go for third party as Clarkey doesn’t make mistakes. My first premium was 2200 with Quinn but went down to 600 when I passed my test.

I am fully comp and I am paying 650 with Allianz.

Think you are getting screwed Jugs.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]I am fully comp and I am paying 650 with Allianz.

Think you are getting screwed Jugs.[/quote]

I agree. As I highlighted earlier, I’m paying €750 full comp and I have been driving 15 months and just got my full license last week.
I’m 26. You must be under 25 right?

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]I agree. As I highlighted earlier, I’m paying 750 full comp and I have been driving 15 months and just got my full license last week.
I’m 26. You must be under 25 right?[/quote]

I’m 26 as well.

age is the key thing it seems I pay 350 fully comp, open driving on anyones car. Im 31.

Seems stupid, if someone is 23 has five years no claims in own name that they would pay more.

Lies, damn lies and statistics is what insurance is all about unfortunately.

It’s far too black and white.
Like when I turned 25 I didn’t magically realise that I would from now on drive more calmly and safely.

[quote=“cluaindiuic”]It’s far too black and white.
Like when I turned 25 I didn’t magically realise that I would from now on drive more calmly and safely.[/quote]

I did.