Drugs in sport (and non sports)

Somebody needs to crusade though, and nobody else is. There’ll be barely a medal won clean at the Olympics in a strength speed or endurance event, certainly not a gold.

1 Like

That lance armstrong case was a career case for Kimmage but it came too early for him in his career. I’d say everything he investigates seems rather pointless.

If people ever cared about doping in sport, they definitely don’t care now.

Why? Wars, genocide, ill health, poverty, the grind of daily living.

Doping in sport is very small fry by comparison. People need a small bit of diversion where cynicism doesn’t reign. Even if in the back of their minds they may be sceptical, when it boils down to it they don’t actually care. While Lance Armstrong may have been a fraud, he at least wasn’t killing people. There are many far worse people in the world than Lance Armstrong.

What’s interesting about Paul Kimmage is he doesn’t really care about despotic nation states laundering their reputations through sport, which has much more of a real world impact than some race walker doping. He doesn’t care about Saudi money coming into golf for instance. He says it doesn’t distort competition.

People preferred sport as a spectator activity when it was more ramshackle, before all this doping and sports science and all seater stadiums. People preferred when their heroes were Frank Worthington or Frank McGuigan or Frank Bruno and they could go off on the ferry to Holyhead and then go to Anfield or Old Trafford and pay £2.50 to get into the Kop or the Stretford End. People preferred simpler times because simpler times meant less cynicism and more happiness.

5 Likes

You don’t know much about his career if you think this, in fact it’s further evidence that you haven’t a bulls notion about much a lot of the time

1 Like

Does he write any article that doesn’t involve doping / drugs in sport. It’s a fair cause alright but fuck I’m not buying a Sunday paper to hear about it every single week with a different sport as the only difference. He must be some barrell of laughs to watch a game with.

He’s got a weird fascination with golf and Rory. He’s got it in for rugby because of the way they stonewalled him, he’ll get them yet too. Lance, well, Lance was personal.

Kimmage should start covering darts, snooker and junior club GAA, if only for his own mental health. Everybody needs to believe in something.

An afternoon freezing his bollocks off in Croke Park today would do him the world of good.

1 Like

Former Springbok out-half, part of 2019 World Cup-winning squad, gets four-year ban after positive drug test

Yesterday at 14:41

Elton Jantjies. Photo: Getty Images

South Africa World Cup winner Elton Jantjies has been suspended for four years after being found guilty of using the banned substance Clenbuterol, the South African Institute for Drug Free Sport (SAIDS) announced today.

Fly-half Jantjies, now 33, was part of the Springbok squad that lifted the World Cup trophy in 2019 but not the side that claimed the 2023 trophy in France last year.

He said in August he had tested positive for Clenbuterol but maintained his innocence, adding added he was “shocked and sad”.

The drug is generally used to burn fat, though it is also found in some asthma medication. It is also known to increase stamina.

Jantjies said at the time he would fight the allegation.

Today’s Sport News in 90 Seconds - 18th January

SAIDS noted in its ruling that “the athlete did not exercise his right to have their case heard before an Independent Doping Hearing Panel”.

Advertisement

Scroll to continue with content

Jantjies’ agent Anthony Johnson told South Africa’s Herald newspaper that his client would not be making any public statements and suggested the player had instructed his legal team to fight the outcome.

“Elton would prefer not to engage with the media and his legal team is working on the case,” he said.

Jantjies last played for French second-tier side Agen in a brief stint in early 2023.

He’s a good lad I’d say

I’d say that’s a good description. A lot of the athletes seem to fall into that category and I’d say he’s probably a loyal enough sort of fella once he’s friends with someone. I’d rather go for a pint with him than Kimmage.

2 Likes

He already did. He made a big feature piece out of a row between a parent and club over an underage match. Was riveting stuff.

1 Like

I’m be heard that Rob enjoys a pint in the Redcove in Mahon, which is the kind of place that many TFKers would be terrified to walk into

He’s an eejit, but he’s harmless and he’s doing good work in an area that needs people to step up

1 Like

Cark in a nutshell

1 Like

Terrified :joy:

Apparently he was roped into taking the banned substance.

1 Like

Pull the other one.

Did a search in this topic for Limerick and all that really came back was cocaine use by club players. Nothing about 18 players about to win six all Ireland senior championships in seven years and what are they taking to do so. Strange.

You must be incredibly dim not to put the all Ireland wins into context.

Did you forget the whole Covid thing when almost no games were played?

He’ll dig his heels in over this.