Dublin GAA Thread

What was in it for him to tear it up for a car park?

You’d say something if he turned it into an extra GAA pitch or something.

Rather thank do some repairs, they ripped it up because it was easier turn it into a car park, rather than give up one of the GAA pitches.

2 Likes

Came across this, classic Dunphy

1 Like

That’d be her - the oul geebag!

1 Like

Was at that - a Friday night in Croker. Only 2 players kept away from the free for all skirmishing - Shane Dalton from Vinnies and Brian Talty from Parnells. Lar Foley was taking on all comers in the Lower Cusack too.

Mad days but you’d get a good crowd at a VdeP match, let alone a league match, back then.

3 Likes

Didn’t they play eachother on stephens day for a few years as a way of repairing relations … glen o Neill was a very good footballer

Would that have been Vincent’s first team down in intermediate in the early 90’s? I’d say Dublin intermediate would be cut throat these days if it wasn’t for Senior B.

No, it was Vincent’s second team, the only second team to win it in a twenty year period or so. Intermediate was cut-throat enough back then alright!

Vinnies poached him from Clontarf when he was very young. His brother Declan “Scruffy” Mullins played for Clontarf for years. Scruffy was shite.

2 Likes

met the brother a few times, think he was into cricket?

I wonder was it the same brother?

lad i met worked in the civil service

Scruffy used to work in Agriculture originally, so could well be the same chap.

Is this a euphemism?

https://www.rte.ie/sport/football/2022/1020/1330397-whelan-encroachment-damaging-smaller-clubs-in-dublin/

Is there a database where you can see how many members each club has?

860 for Crossmaglen and 745 for Corofin would be more than many proper urban clubs across the country would have I’d imagine.

Are Finbar’s of Cabra still going? You’d imagine most of the decent lads out that direction are playing with Plunketts

Finbarr’s are very much still going. They’d nearly be on a par with Plunketts now.

1 Like

They are but with limited playing facilities. Played a football match against them last week. Rough and tumble but smashing bunch of lads

1 Like

Give them 15 hurleys and you’ll see how nice they are.

3 Likes