Dublin GAA Thread

They were no good as it turned out. Got too heavy.

1 Like

Brendan Hayden has one fairly unique record. He won Senior Championships in Carlow across both hurling and football with 5 different clubs. I’m not aware of that feat been matched elsewhere.

I’ll hazard a guess.

Football: Eire Óg, Tinryland and O’ Hanrahans.

Hurling: Carlow Town. Who would be the other team? Palatine maybe?

You have 4 of the 5 there. O’Hanrahans is not one.

Pal for the football too then? Jesus he had more clubs than Peter Stringfellow. All within a 5km radius of each other too.

In a similar vein, the late Seamus Keevans of Wexford won county championships with four clubs (Taghmon, Cavan Gaels, Kill and Gusserane), in three different provinces. He also played intercounty with Sligo, Cork, Cavan, Waterford and Wexford (he was a guard, hence the movement). Seamus was the heart and soul of Wexford football for many a year.

5 Likes

Big John Evans. A great man to lead a team to promotion in the Allianz Football League. The managerial equivalent of Jack McCarron.

Ballinabranna in hurling is the fifth.

Tinryland was his home club and he was first and foremost a Tinryland man. He lived in Carlow Town after he married. There was a falling out with Tinryland in 1960 and he played that year with Eire Og, which happened to be the year that Eire Og won their very first Carlow Senior Football Championship.

Tinryland don’t hurl, so he did most of his hurling with Carlow Town. I’m not entirely sure as to how he ended up with both Palatine and Ballinabrana. @Fagan_ODowd with his Palatine connections might be able to shed some light on that.

As you said all clubs within a few miles radius of Carlow Town.

His full haul of senior medals was;

Football
Eire Og 1960
Tinryland 1971, 1972, 1975

Hurling
Carlow Town 1961, 1963
Ballinabranna 1969, 1971
Palatine 1972

4 Likes

Interesting that they don’t even hurl anymore. Although I suppose Naomh Bríd would be the modern day equivalent in an amalgamation with Old Leighlin and Leighlinbridge.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2023/0305/1360374-minor-hurling-game-abandoned-after-alleged-assault/

The Barrs kicking off down in Raytown … old skool…

I heard Clanna Gael went to the press about it and Finbarrs went to the Guards saying the umpire assaulted one of their players after getting involved in a verbal exchange with their players.

@Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

defund the GGA

1 Like

He is slipping.

1 Like

This seem fake, he says his name is Sean McGrellis, but then in the next line he says he’s a Stewart.

I suspect foul play.

2 Likes

He would want to decide what his name is.

I think there’s something wrong with me; I generally didn’t even consider that that was a typo and thought that ‘Stewart’ was some sort of local name for Derry fans.

1 Like

And what about all those infections the Dublin fans brought with them?