Dublin GAA Thread

That’s very sad all the same

I see an old gaa programme online there from the 1994 minor hurling between Dublin and Kilkenny.

Kilmore had a couple of lads on the Dublin team - I assume they are now disbanded or swallowed up by someone else @Fagan_ODowd @Spidey @binkybarnes

Is that kilmore out by Coolock?

https://x.com/gaacollector/status/1797317419515482305?s=46&t=bi9TPLB4aIa07RQv_xWOxQ

Yes , they were gone by around 1996 . Kilmore Chairains I think they were called once upon a time. O tooles had a great minor team around then. Some really good hurlers on that Dublin panel.
The corner forward Stephen Philips was originally from st. Monica’s in Edenmore , joined Vincent’s and then went to craobh Chairain for senior

It is. Their good players were alway poached by bigger neighbours

The council pitch on your right as you head up the Malahide Road opposite St David’s estate in Artane was one of their home pitches that I played them on.

1 Like

The one in the donnycarney estate where the Ramble Inn is ?

Assume Parnells and Ciaran’s took their player base once they disbanded

Probably but I can’t think of many players off hand . Don’t think parnells played much hurling back then . Chairains or o tooles would be most likely .

Clontarf poached one of their very good players, a Dublin minor footballer, back in the mid 80s.

Yes the one that fronts on to the Malahide Road.

1 Like

Did Craobh used to play out of pitches on Belcamp Park? Played as a ringer there before

Yep , think they still do

1 Like

Their home pitch is in Belcamp. They used to play in St Anne’s. Up near St Paul’s.

1 Like

The one I played in was across from a housing estate in Clonshaugh Park. Soccer pitches, basketball courts etc. also in the park

Didn’t a kirwan from Waterford win a few champos with Chiarains ? I presumed he was brother of lad from mount sion

Can’t recall a brother. The Kirwan that played for Mount Sion moved to the club from Portlaw so I wouldn’t know his family.

1 Like

I’ve seen programmes from the late 80s/early 90s where they had 4/5 lads on Dublin minor football teams.

Randomly met some lad who played on their last team while having pints a few months back. This lad was with Craobh now. He told me that they should have went senior football in the early 90s. They lost an inter final in controversial circumstances. Some fella who made it with Dublin seniors transferred away, other lads emigrated, went playing soccer and the arse fell out of it.

2 Likes

Kilmore never played there. They were also were never called Kilmore Craobh Chiaran.
Their main pitch was in Belcamp, although they previously had pitches where the Artane Beaumont Recreation centre is and also on the Oscar Traynor Road. For the couple of years when they were senior division 1 football, they played at Chanel College, where Parnells are now located. After they folded, most of their players went to Parnells, Craobh Chiarain , Raheny,Clontarf and O’Tooles. The player that you referred to being patched by Clontarf was probably John Power. No poaching involved, it’s just that Clontarf were a senior team at that time

2 Likes

That’s right. John Power it was.

Yeah, they went senior after winning the Intermediate replay against Monicas in 1989 and won Division 2 Senior straightaway to go to Div 1.

They had some players alright - aside from John Power, the Cookes, Brian Burke, Sean Sammon, Brian Redmond, Noelie Carter played at least Minor for Dublin. Niall Guiden had bailed to Raheny a couple of years before the Intermediate championship win.

West Clare man Paddy Power was their nippy corner forward and he’s currently one of Sean Stack’s umpires ( he was an up and coming ref but sent some Galway lad off in All-Ireland Minor football final and got slated on Sunday Game for it as no one could see why. He seemed to jack it in after that!).

A good number of them went to St Davids and Talty had a big influence on those. The 1986 David’s team got to the final of the Hogan where they lost to Colmans of Newry. Ironically Talty was coaching Monicas in the Inter final and replay in 1989. The break-up was a strange affair but the hadn’t much behind that team in the way of a juvenile set up.

They were primarily football and, though they produced some good hurlers, struggled to field most seasons underage and their players generally fielded with other clubs

All gone with barely a trace.

One of them, possibly Fahy, was involved in the Limerick football management set up when he was still in his twenties having gone to college down there.

8 Likes