Dynamo Moscow (1) vs Celtic (0)

5pm kick-off on Wednesday evening so you’ll have to nip off early from work, bhoys.

4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1?

Scott Brown is now expected to play. Lee Naylor has a knock so Danny Fox should start.

Celtic don’t really have that strong an away record in Europe in recent years but it’s hard to predict whether Dynamo will sit in, protect their first leg lead and look to counter attack or take the game to us.

We did create a fair few chances last week but we also looked pretty vulnerable at the back and we’ve never overturned a deficit in Europe when we’ve lost the first leg at home.

So it looks an uphill struggle but I’m quite optimistic for no apparent reason. Still unsure what team I’d pick though.

This is team I’d go for anyway

Boruc
Caddis Caldwell O’Dea Fox
McGeady/Mizuno Brown NGuemo McGeady/Mizuno
McDonald Fortune

Hinkel looked off the pace last Wednesday and Caddis will provide better support to widemen which is where we will be most creative. Despite O’Dea’s horror show on Saturday he is a better defender and better with the ball than Loovens. Maloney hasn’t really done it since his return and hasn’t really looked like doing it to be honest. Far too lethargic and predictable. Big ask for Mizuno to step up but not sure we have many other options. McDonald is most likely player to score for us while Fortune only has to be average to be better than Samaras or Killen.

I expect us to give it a good go on Wednesday. We really should have beaten them in first leg and hopefully under new manager some of negativity of old regime away in Europe will be gone.

I’m going with 4-2-3-1 / 4-5-1 after a bit of consideration.

Boruc,
Hinkel, Caldwell, Loovens, Fox,
N’Guemo, Brown*,
McGeady, Maloney, Samaras,
Fortun

*Crosas if Brown’s not fit enough. We need to strengthen in every sector of the field in truth. I think you’re all being harsh on Maloney - I’d play him centrally as he has a good shot. Sammy can play wide left like he’s done on a few occasions and in Holland too. He could be an aerial threat on the back stick too. McDonald to miss out as I think we’ll need numbers in midfield and Fortun’s better at holding the ball up.

Actually, I’d consider playing Brown ahead of N’Guemo and Donati or Crosas, with Maloney out wide.

I presume you’re saying Brown playing in front of N’Guemo in location on the pitch as opposed to choosing Brown ahead of N’Guemo.

So something like

N’Guemo__Crosas_

McGeady__Brown___Maloney

Fortun

I think that lacks a striker. I can see that there’s goals in it but they’re likely to play deep and while that limits the space in behind it does mean that we need to have a presence in their area. So I’d be thinking two strikers, or at the very least Sammy out side as you suggested initially.

My own selection would be:

Boruc__

Hinkel__Caldwell__Loovens__Fox

Maloney__N’Guemo__Brown__McGeady

Fortune__McDonald

and that’s the team I expect to see.

Larry, where are you getting your O’Dea selection from? You have to pick guys on form and while Loovens didn’t have a stormer in the first leg he wasn’t dreadful and O’Dea played himself right out of the running the other day. Friendly or no friendly you can’t make mistakes like that at the back and they happen too regularly to Darren at the moment.

I was critical of Shaun’s first leg performance but wouldn’t be close to dropping him in a game where we need invention and goals.

[quote=“Rocko”]I presume you’re saying Brown playing in front of N’Guemo in location on the pitch as opposed to choosing Brown ahead of N’Guemo.

So something like

N’Guemo__Crosas_

McGeady__Brown___Maloney

Fortun

I think that lacks a striker. I can see that there’s goals in it but they’re likely to play deep and while that limits the space in behind it does mean that we need to have a presence in their area. So I’d be thinking two strikers, or at the very least Sammy out side as you suggested initially.

My own selection would be:

Boruc__

Hinkel__Caldwell__Loovens__Fox

Maloney__N’Guemo__Brown__McGeady

Fortune__McDonald

and that’s the team I expect to see.

Larry, where are you getting your O’Dea selection from? You have to pick guys on form and while Loovens didn’t have a stormer in the first leg he wasn’t dreadful and O’Dea played himself right out of the running the other day. Friendly or no friendly you can’t make mistakes like that at the back and they happen too regularly to Darren at the moment.

I was critical of Shaun’s first leg performance but wouldn’t be close to dropping him in a game where we need invention and goals.[/quote]

I think O’Dea is a better player than Loovens. Simple as really. Thought Loovens was real poor myself in first leg.
McDonald is someone I wouldn’t consider dropping. He is a goalscorer and not to start him would be very negative. Found it astonishing when Strachan dropped him in Barcelona last year and don’t think Mowbray will fall into same trap.

[quote=“Rocko”]I presume you’re saying Brown playing in front of N’Guemo in location on the pitch as opposed to choosing Brown ahead of N’Guemo.

So something like

N’Guemo__Crosas_

McGeady__Brown___Maloney

Fortun

[/quote]

Yes, that’s what I’m advocating but I’d also include a 'keeper and a back four. 4-2-3-1 is my favoured formation but I accept it would be odd not to start McDonald, I suppose. Ah fuck it, I don’t know.

[quote=“larryduff”]I think O’Dea is a better player than Loovens. Simple as really. Thought Loovens was real poor myself in first leg.
McDonald is someone I wouldn’t consider dropping. He is a goalscorer and not to start him would be very negative. Found it astonishing when Strachan dropped him in Barcelona last year and don’t think Mowbray will fall into same trap.[/quote]

The reality with O’Dea unfortunately is that when you look at the games he has started for Celtic in the past 12 to 18 months he’s been poor in about half of them. Not average, but poor. As I’ve said here before he still has talent and he tries his heart out but until he cuts out the basic errors then you can’t really advocate starting him.

Agreed on McDonald.

[quote=“Rocko”]The reality with O’Dea unfortunately is that when you look at the games he has started for Celtic in the past 12 to 18 months he’s been poor in about half of them. Not average, but poor. As I’ve said here before he still has talent and he tries his heart out but until he cuts out the basic errors then you can’t really advocate starting him.

Agreed on McDonald.[/quote]

On mature reflection I would start Loovens.

Thing is, not one of the 4 central defenders is significantly better than the other 3. Caldwell is the best at the moment but he’s not top class. We conceded bad goals last season and we lost a really poor goal in the first leg. We need to sign a really quality defender and let the best of the existing 4 fight it out to partner him.

I’d agree with that. Actually think they all have certain qualities (even McManus) but there’s not one of them that’s dominant enough or good enough to allow the others to play to their strengths. Buy one centre half and you’ve some capable enough partners but none of the partnerships so far have worked.

As it is Caldwell and Loovens is as good as it gets with the current squad though I’d like to see O’Dea get some games in. Don’t think McManus and any of those players works.

[quote=“Rocko”]I’d agree with that. Actually think they all have certain qualities (even McManus) but there’s not one of them that’s dominant enough or good enough to allow the others to play to their strengths. Buy one centre half and you’ve some capable enough partners but none of the partnerships so far have worked.

As it is Caldwell and Loovens is as good as it gets with the current squad though I’d like to see O’Dea get some games in. Don’t think McManus and any of those players works.[/quote]

As we discussed in Glasgow last week, it seems ever more likely that we’ll have to strengthen in all sectors if we’re to win the Champions League this season, with the notable exception of goalkeeper.

Apparently’s the game’s being shown on Setanta Ireland tomorrow evening. I had plans of heading to a pub with BBC Scotland to watch it over a few pints but now I’m thrown. I’m also thrown by the fact that Lee Naylor’s declared himself fit for tomorrow. Scott Brown trained today with no ill effects following his weekend run out and he should play.

Yeah we have Lou Macari covering game on Setanta Ireland tomorrow. Lucky us.

Setanta: Paul Dempsey, Brian Kerr, Brian Little, Des Curran, Lou Macari.

VERSUS

BBC Scotland: Dougie Donnelly, Billy Dodds, Paul Mitchell, Ian McCall.

[quote=“Bandage”]Setanta: Paul Dempsey, Brian Kerr, Brian Little, Des Curran, Lou Macari.

VERSUS

BBC Scotland: Dougie Donnelly, Billy Dodds, Paul Mitchell, Ian McCall.[/quote]

Setanta all the way. Dougie Donnelly is a cunt. :pint:

Graham Spiers in The Times on the biggest game an Irish side will probably play this season:

Scott McDonald aims to be ruthless in Russia

It is not always easy to fathom the Tony Mowbray style of play, despite all that is written and said on the subject. The Celtic manager tires of being labelled a romantic or an idealist, yet it is Mowbray himself who frequently refers to his particular philosophy of football in terms that sometimes sound haughty.

What is for certain is that the Celtic manager is trying to impress his own ideas on his new players, and that some of those ideas differ from those of Gordon Strachan, his predecessor. In summary, Strachan could be said to have placed great emphasis on shape and tactical discipline, while Mowbray, rightly or wrongly, permits a more instinctive, even off-the-cuff approach by his players.

This debate is heating up again, given the job facing Celtic in Moscow on Wednesday evening. In trying to overturn Dynamo Moscow’s 1-0 first-leg advantage in the Champions League third qualifying round, Mowbray insists that he will allow his players a freedom of expression that they perhaps did not have under their previous manager.

Having said that, two years ago Strachan brought Celtic to Moscow to face a very talented Spartak team, and scored in the Russian capital on their way to advancing to the group stage.

Footballers are often cagey when asked about their managers or coaches - untrusting as they are about what they might blurt into a microphone - but Scott McDonald offered on Monday a little insight into the differences between Mowbray and Strachan. And listening to the Australia striker, the hunch persisted that Mowbray remains a little more flexible in his approach.

There is a definite change [between Strachan and Mowbray] where the wide players are concerned, McDonald said. They are getting more opportunity to express themselves in the sense of moving around and not being told to stay out wide. They have sort of been given almost free roles now.

The players now have a freedom to play in areas the manager beforehand wouldn’t have liked. So that is definitely a difference. And Tony also wants his full-backs to bomb on’ even further than before.

It is nothing if not a positive manner of play the new manager has brought in. Hopefully that will create a lot of goals for myself - though it can also leave you a little bit open at times, as we have seen.

These comments only add to the intrigue regarding Mowbray’s approach to players such as Aiden McGeady and Shaun Maloney. Of McGeady, in particular, the new Celtic manager has been effusive in his praise, and it has left some wondering if Mowbray is keen to put a very different stamp on Celtic from that of his predecessor.

In citing McGeady so often, of course, Mowbray also only serves to remind us that it was the winger’s reluctance to stay wide on the park, as Strachan had so often insisted, which in part led to a conflict between the two men.

The downside to this perceived style of Mowbray’s is obvious - just ask West Bromwich Albion fans about it. As McDonald said, this new Celtic team does have a tendency to leave itself open and last week in Glasgow, Dynamo feasted on this vulnerability. As keen as Celtic are to emphasise that they could have scored two or three in Glasgow, Dynamo were also worth at least one more goal.

I think we played well in Glasgow - there is no question about that, McDonald said. We were more than comfortable and we created a few chances. After they scored, it’s true we nearly got caught a couple of times, because we were going for it.

This time we probably need to be a bit more ruthless in front of goal. If we get a chance I think we’ve got to take it. Hopefuly, if that chance comes early, and we take it, that will put all the pressure back on them. And to pull it off like this away from home would be massive.

If Mowbray and Celtic can pull off this feat on Wednesday night it would be quite a filip for the new manager and his team. Celtic’s away form in Europe, alas, is woeful, and it stretches back through the Strachan and Martin O’Neill eras.

It’ll be tough for us, but then again, maybe there is less pressure on us anyway, as people are not expecting us to do that well, McDonald argued. But we have our own expectations of what we want to do, and we’ll be looking to go out and be positive, and try to have a go at them from the word go.

If we can - like Dynamo did in Glasgow - get an early goal then it will change the whole complexion of the game. Hopefully, we can do that - it will certainly be our intention.

:pint:

Let me just clarify for you that you’ll still be going to said pub to watch the game in my presence.

An in the know chap on KDS says there’ll only be 1 change from last week’s XI - Fox for Naylor - and that Brown will be sprung from the bench.