Eamonn Sweeney

You really seem to struggle with anything over a few lines.

Basically the likes of Kieran McGeeney are bluffers and should be fucked out.

I don’t need Eamonn to tell me that, Kev.

1 Like

The article goes against what you have been saying about skill levels in the gga

Did you read the article?

Yup

Just without understanding a word of it.

1 Like

I feel the same as sweeney,the county game is fucked,lads on forums giving out saying player x and y should be in the squad,well lads he was called and probably said fuck off

1 Like

Player x or y lack drive & commitment would be another angle.

1 Like

Player x or y knows he isnt going to win fuck all and wants some kind of a life

1 Like

Bogan pig

A very small % of Gaa players will win anything at IC level. That doesn’t stop a large %. Nothing has changed. His angle is dated.

The gap between the top and the bottom in football is bigger than ever harry im not surprised lads are turning countys down,it only going to get worse

1 Like

It’s old news. Lads not joining squads or lads leaving panels. It’s always happened.

How dare you call me a pig.

It’s always happened, but it’s always been a number of lads you could count on one hand. Now there is a serious questioning from players about their involvement in IC football, due to the commitment necessary for even the most lowly counties. Every county seems to have, or wants to have, some visionary, messianic coach who will lead them against the odds, despite the lack of resources / clubs / size / players to some promised land. The training some counties are involved in is beyond ridiculous. I’d imagine a lot of players just don’t see the point anymore and are happy with their club involvement, which will more likely produce some reward, with less commitment (though many clubs resemble IC organizations now). The seemingly exclusive focus on fitness and S&C has had obvious negative effects on the game. It’s not enjoyable anymore for many players, it’s a slog, one that usually involves training without a ball in sight. It probably comes as something of a suprise to many players then they actually end up playing a match, months after they started training (hang on, this isn’t a hill, it’s flat. And there’s people here. And the sun’s out. And is that, is that a football?).
Some revolutionary fucker is going to take over a county soon and not start training in November, give the lads Christmas off and train 2 or 3 times a week with a football in their hands. They’ll win their province and go on a joyous run to the AI final, where they will be bet out the gate by a battallion of gym monkey automons.
Someone might notice that gaelic football is supposed to be played with a ball, multiple skills and (say it softly) sme modicum of joy. Or more likely, everyone will wonder what programme the victor automons were on and try to emulate that.
The game will be dead in 5 years.

3 Likes

It won’t, but a lot of what you say there is on the ball. Your points are valid, but whether it’s club or county there is a small pool of possible winners every year, but it never put anyone from the also-rans off before, and it won’t next year either. It is a slog and everything else you describe it as, but lads still knock their own craic out of slogging, playing, and talking shite about the sessions and the matches and everything else that goes with it. It doesn’t really make sense when you looking at it analytically, but lads get more out of it than that.

The last comment was more in exasperation than anything. You’re right about what players get out of it, but more and more (from what I can see) are seriously weighing up the commitment necessary and the knock on effects on work / study / family etc, which have increased massively.Yes, it’s a great thing to be part of a team, greater still if it’s an elite team that’s representing something. There’s bonds you form there that can last a lifetime, not just with your team mates, but opposing players. But not all gaelic footballers are stupid and they see lads in their early thirties retiring with serious injuries, behind in their careers with their family life affected. There’s more and more chatter and discussion about this, which then becomes a self fulfilling prophesy. Lads see a club as the perfect alternative, especially if they’re working somewhere like Dublin and see something similar to an IC set up, but without a three hour round trip to training on a wet Tuesday in February (it never ceases to amaze me how many sporting events or training occurs on a wet Tuesday in February).
Balance seems to be something that the GAA has forgotten about.
I hope lads continue to want to play for their county, want to give everything they can. But we seem to be making it harder and harder and you seem to have to prove that you “want it” or have the “desire” on a constant basis, to justify even being there.
The knock on effect of all of this is the game. It’s shite. It should be a beautiful, exciting sport to watch. It’s not now.

So everyone now agrees the gga is a shit sport to watch.odd that when i mentioned this s few years ago the likes of mac,kev,gola and padjo went postal

1 Like

I can’t remember you ever mentioning that mate.

1 Like

Gola dictated what we did. We were afraid to disagree with him.

2 Likes