Energy Crisis

My power has gone 3 of the last 4 evenings.

Hydro Power.

Are there sites suitable in the Country? Seems a no brainier regardless of cost now at this if the source is there to be effective

Not on a grand scale but there might be a fantastic opportunity for certain people with land. I think we are tapped out on a grand scale, you could widen the weir in ardnacrusha but for what cost. It is a wonderful, cheap resource if you have the right circumstance.

Looking at projects in China theyā€™ve been in the Billionsā€¦.

Iā€™m assuming Nuclear Plants are going to be similar money.

Long term itā€™s the only viable option surely?

Itā€™s completely dependent on the geography/topography of a country. Head pressure is what makes hydroelectric generators viable, we are not ideal to benefit from hydro apart from the projects currently in place. Nuke + solar and kiss my arse wind are is the most likely way forward. Hydro is very limited here but much more useful on a micro level if you have favourable circumstances. We need more interconnections with France and a stake in their plants in addition to our renewables. More panels on houses and farm sheds plus battery banks and sell to the grid for minimal energy costs

4 Likes

Sure that would be great if the power companies bought into it. Cunts wonā€™t take extra power or pay you for it currently.

Government needs to get serious on that front

I think that is changing in the next year or so, Iā€™m putting up panels on the sheds here. Pure luck that they have the right orientation, itā€™s an awful failing that having a South facing shed wasnt a pre requisite when applying for planning. Iā€™ll be putting in a power bank to store energy and sell back the surplus

2 Likes

Any idea on costs yet?

Every Agricultural & Industrial unit should have these on them whether by law building new or at retrofit.

there was a really good FF TD Christopher Oā€™Sullivan on Newstalk about this, Ireland will have enough power from Wind to power 5m homes by 2030

There are loads of options, a power pack from a battery powered forklift might do or you might need to make up a lithium power bank. Itā€™s related to how much energy you need to store and I havenā€™t fully priced it out yet. Itā€™s happening though and the panel man is due in the next couple of weeks. We need to monitor what sort of surplus they accumulat and work from there

Really?

Whatā€™s the current state of play?

Be very interested to hear how you get on chief. :+1:

No bother, Iā€™ll take it to PMā€™s

1 Like

ā€œIn order to meet these targets, Ireland will need to almost double its onshore wind generation (from 4.1 GW now to about 8 GW) and will need to hugely increase its offshore wind electricity (from just 25 MW today to 5 GW by 2030ā€

The TD said its 50/50 whether we will make it

the scots aiming for 15GW

Itā€™s all grand once the wind blows inside the applicable parameters and to a lesser extent the sun shines

Any talk of the Tidal Energy in the Shannon Estuary since?

yes, having the interconnectors will be important

If Diesel is limited to Agri & Heavy Haulage in the long term weā€™re doing okay for an Island of our size.

Smaller hybrid & Electric powered cars for City driving must be the norm going forward.

Days of high powered luxury vehicles will have to be numbered.

The Netflix documentary on the VW Clean Diesel scam was fairly eye opening.

1 Like

True, it will be a massive boon if managed remotely correctly. Itā€™s very anorak but a few of us were working out roof space of sheds that were built in the last 10 years recently and itā€™s astronomical. Precisely zero % of them were mandated to be erected in a southernly Orientation. Mine only went that way due to prevailing wind, thatā€™s real waste right there for the ones that arenā€™t. Itā€™s an absolute joke

2 Likes

This was a suggestion that looks solid on paper but no way it would happen due to NIMBYISM.

2 Likes