ENGLAND Supporters Thread

I’ve been in more pubs than I care to remember. Never ever have I heard an English person singled out and blamed for the famine. In fact, an ex boss of mine was doing a bit of work in Dublin, and was taken on a tour of kilmainham and Glasnevin
His first reaction was that he couldn’t believe how remarkably decent the Irish people were to the English having seen and heard all of that.
People get in rows in beer gardens by and large because they are mouthy and confrontational or rude.

13 Likes

So just because you haven’t heard it means it doesn’t happen?

It’s highly unlikely you would have heard such an incident because you’re Irish, and thus not the target of such, and the only way you would have heard such would be coincidence from being present at the exact time and place such an incident happens.

I think the majority of Irish people are reasonable - I think the majority of people everywhere are reasonable - but that does not mean there isn’t a horrible undercurrent of irrational hatred against ordinary English people which sometimes makes itself heard. In this case it would seem the “offence” of the victim was merely to have an English accent.

That kind of bigoted abuse of an English person for having an English accent in Ireland is merely the other side of the coin that led to “no black, no dogs, no Irish” in England.

And widely used terms such as “west Brit” are an everyday manifestation of this sort of bigotry - against Irish people themselves. That term deserves to die a very quick death.

So still just the two world wars and one World Cup.

1 Like

The world wars both have a major * next to them too.

1 Like

They had a very strong subs bench.

1 Like

So did the World Cup in fairness

2 Likes

I always thought that was more of an anti-German phrase, not sure it counts playing against Italy.

And a drawn Euro final and unbeaten campaign.

Just the one world war against the Italians so. When they had Patton holding their hand and putting manners on Monty.

I thought it noteworthy that La Gazzetta Dello Sport, the famous sporting paper of record in Italy, referenced Italy’s 1938 World Cup quarter-final victory over host nation France, in which the Italian team wore Mussolini’s black shirts and gave the fascist salute, as an example for Italy to try and emulate ahead of last night’s final.

Italian society in general really does have a very, very troublesome understanding of the country’s history that such a mainstream publication could run with this sort of stuff.

When it comes to this subject, I think I’ll take the word of a @flattythehurdler who has lived in the UK for a long time than a @Cheasty who has been holed up in a one bedroom flat for a long time

7 Likes

Michael Martin’s week went from bad to worse last night.

The particular discussion is in reference to Irish society. @flattythehurdler lives in the UK.

You haven’t made any attempt to provide any sort of persuasive argument to disprove my point.

I was referring to Irish pubs also. I’ve never had any bother in an English pub for being Irish, but since brexit, I’m warier in general.
I also keep it toned down.

Ah look, I’m just bored to be honest

Great buzz around this morning, was in the shop earlier, everyone smiling and happy. I’m hungover without having a drink.

1 Like

What’s that?

Someone who is wary of people …

Of course. Well done flatty, keep the warience up.

1 Like

I find the part about the acceptance you should “keep it toned down” strange. Nobody should have to “tone down” anything based on having a particular nationality or accent. They shouldn’t be expected to have to behave according to a standard of “tone policing” that non-minorities are not expected to.

This is the part where the concept of supremacism enters the arena. “Tone policing” is essentially a tool of supremacism.

My view is that there’s a high degree of “tolerance” in Irish society and indeed English society for those of minority identities, be that racial or ethnic minorities, sexual or gender minorities, or in terms of say, women entering arenas that have historically tended to be male dominated.

That means “tolerance” in the sense that they are merely tolerated - but if they start raising their voice above the parapet or getting too “uppity”, a backlash soon starts. That backlash is an attempt to silence minority voices. There are a lot of people out there who are very uncomfortable with minorities confidently expressing views, and not behaving in a way that indicates subservience.

That Irish voices, voices of immigrants, voices of people of colour etc. should have to be “toned down” to appease white English people who are made uncomfortable by such voices is an abhorrent concept. And so it is also abhorrent that English voices in Ireland should have to be “toned down”, outside a pub of all places, to appease any Irish people who are made uncomfortable by English voices in Ireland.