Euro 2012 - Match discussion thread

Giles says “nobody really wants to take one.” Brady was only after saying the opposite earlier about how he wasn’t nervous.

It’s a pity Ramos didn’t scoop it over the bar. It takes away from Pirlo’s the other night, whereas if he misses it would have only added to it

Dunphy back on his Bobby Charlton point again. Isn’t that just his own myth?

And they’re still assuming Ronaldo’s ego meant he went last.

Glad to see Dunphy and half the posters on here have an inside line to the Portuguese camp and know that Ronaldo picked the order of penalty takers.

Incidentally, his record in big penalty shoot outs isn’t exactly stellar.

Not a chance you’d ever see Leo Messi chickening out of taking a penalty like that. Not a chance. True greats always stand up to be counted.

Not a chance you’d ever see Leo Messi chickening out of taking a penalty like that. Not a chance. True greats always stand up to be counted.

I was urging the keeper* to stand still and upright for the Ramos penalty. Mainly because I thought he would blast it high down the middle. But it would have been gas if he’d have stood up to the chip.

• he didn’t hear me.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 690339”]

It had all the atmosphere of a league game at the Gaelic Grounds.[/quote]
I wonder will we see Warsaw packed tomorrow night.

In fairness, any player who pulls that sort of penalty off on the biggest stage, deserves all the kudos for it.

Ramos was inspired by Pirlo …

You’d have to put that down to him being a bit of a bottler.

Meself & Monkey Allen saw a fella take a “Pirlo” penalty in a GAA match earlier this year. He hit the bar but scored the rebound.

Sorry, a “Panenka” penalty

Spain really came into the game when “5 yard” Xavi came off.

They also put an awful lot of faith in the couple of inches that separated the Bruno Alves pen off the bar from Fabregas going in off the post. Tiny margins of error, far too easy to draw wide sweeping conclusions about the players and their bottle and their egos.

Not a great match tonight it must be said but it’s still a mouthwatering prospect to see what is arguably already the greatest international team of all-time now just one match away from leaving no doubt whatsoever about that status. Real lovers of real football will be happy tonight.

:barcasmile: and friends :clap:

Spain are one game away from immortality.

Exactly. The armchair psychology always goes into overdrive after penalties.

Ronaldo showing his lack of character in his failure to step up and take an early penalty in the shootout. Some captain.

Germany are gonna fuck Spain in d ass

An incorrigible chikenshit