Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Can’t have both Italian midfielders after the schooling Biscuits and Koke gave them …Rice and Philips ran through them for 60 minutes yesterday too

1 Like

Who will deliver the trophy to the plinth at the final in 3 years time like Eder. Donnorumma or Bonucci. I thought it was a lovely addition.

1 Like

I thought both of them were brilliant yesterday in the match that mattered.

Rice and Philips got in their faces but they held the ball each time and kept possession.

They got schooled in semi final and in Fairness grew into game yesterday but from a positron of being bullied …history is written by the winners I guess …

Bringing 2 players on with a minute to go to take a penalty cold is a stupid idea. They nearly fucked it up as well because if the ball had stayed in play for another minute they wouldn’t have got on. The better team won in the end anyway. I thought Rice was really good for the first hour of the match but ran out of steam. It was looking a bit ominous for Italy in the first 15 or 20 minutes that the lack of a decent striker was going to cost them. Immobile was anonymous again last night.

From about the 20 minute mark Italy grew into it and completely dominated the game from halftime onwards. Southgate was being lauded as some sort of tactical genius but he just made them very difficult to score against by playing 11 players in their half when the other team have the ball.

England have some good young players coming through but they might never get a better chance to win a major tournament again. Just like 2018 they ended up on the soft side of a completely loaded draw. All of their matches bar one at home and very few fans of the opposition at their matches.

The likes of Southgate, Sterling, Henderson, Rashford all seem like really decent human beings and you’d have some sympathy for them but then you look at the behaviour of the English fans yesterday and then think about what the country itself represents and its history and all you can do is laugh.

I thought that myself. Rashford was playing right back for the three minutes and Italy attacking.

A complete clusterfuck.

The match was lost on the line.

2 Likes

I thought Saka was.

walker was - he had gone to a back 4.

I thought Veratti and Jorginho were the reason why Italy got back into the game. They have real quality to get on the ball and dictate play and gradually Italy got their game going.

I don’t recall such a schooling in the Spain match.

No it was Rashford. Almost certain. Either way its bad.

Olmo sat on Jorginho and completely nullified Italy’s midfield for large parts of the game. Spain controlled the tempo

Kane did it for 20 minutes but seemed to forget all about it when Jorginho went down injured.

Walker was taken off for one of the two lads.

That’s right - Rashford was right back in a back 4 so. Jesus

I think England retreating is why Italy got back into game …England should have went looking for a second …

Spain had an extra body in there though effectively.

Where England dominated Italy early on was the wide areas, Italy were far too narrow and Shaw and Trippier were getting so much time and freedom on the overlap.

1 Like

Kane dropped on Jorginho - similar to Olmo and Sterling and Mount stayed narrow allowing it. Kane seemed to come off Jorginho bizarrely after the stoppage for his injury. I can’t pinpoint a change that allowed it from either manager.

Taking off Trippier for Saka was bizarre actually. Trippier was doing well and is good on set pieces. Mount was doing fuck all and the set pieces went to shit when Trippier went off. There was one in the last few minutes of normal time that didn’t even reach the 18 yard box from the right of the pitch by the half way line

Phillips was on set pieces towards the end.

he was fine and bad on them

Kane dropped deep constantly and was creating play which was killing the Italians.

Agree on Trippier.

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at Euro 2020 thread (Part 2).