Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Yes

Everyone of Italy’s outfield players have now appeared.

Correct. Wales are +1 and the Swiss are -1 on GD.

I dont understand why Wales went with 3-4-3 if they wanted to play defensively today.

If Wales go through they have a winnable Ro16 game

Yes they are two goals ahead on GD as it stands.

I loved that quote from Chiellini about the changes to the Italian starting lineup - “the actors may have changed but the play remains the same”.
Chiesa has been magnificent today.

By Christ, Roberto has us purring

Two big decisions for Mancini for the last 16 tie.

Chiesa or Berardi
Verratti or Locatelli

Berra and Loca please

1 Like

Just slotted it into the predictor there. If they hold onto 2nd they could be playing Russia (or whoever comes 2nd in that group).

1 Like

Chiesa has done very little to impress

The Swiss are in a strange position now. I presume they’ll have to hang around in Azerbaijan for a couple of days. They don’t know where they will be playing next. Maybe they could chance a day trip to Nagorno Karabakh tomorrow and try to sort out the situation there.

A draw between Ukraine and Austria tomorrow will probably see both qualify to the next round.

The bookies have copped on and the draw is about even money. On Betfair of the €411k matched on the game, €339k is on the draw…

I know Locatelli scored twice the last day and has been excellent but Verratti is the best in the world in that role.

2 Likes

Denmark and Sweden engineered a very exciting 2-2 draw at Euro 2004 which eliminated Italy on head-to-head in the process. All 3 teams locked on 5 points.

Berardi and Verratti for me.

Acerbi cannot start if Chiellini is not fit, he’s gonna be found out. Bastoni is the obvious choice.

Acerbi is a fine player. Best defender in Serie A over the past couple of seasons

Romero, De Ligt, Khoulibaly, Bastoni, Chiellini are best Serie A centre halves. I agree Acerbi’s performances have been very good for Lazio, he has definitely gone up a level since his move from Sassuolo and is up there near the top. I still don’t think he would do against the very best at international level though, I’d much prefer Bastoni.

Shaqiri is a great tournament footballer

4 Likes

Third placed teams focus:

Group A:
Switzerland finish on 4 points and a goal difference of F4 A5 (-1)

Group B:
If Finland don’t take something off Belgium, this will be one of the groups that has a third placed team on 3 points. If Denmark beat Russia there will likely be a three way tie on three points but the Danes would likely nab second spot on goal difference.

Group C:
A draw between Ukraine and Austria would leave them both on 4 points with a Goal difference of 0 but Ukraine would take second place and Austria third based on Ukraine’s superior goals scored.

Group D: Any of England, Czech Republic, Croatia and Scotland could still conceivably finish third. A win for either Scotland or Croatia would put them onto 4 points but a draw between them means both teams would finish on only 2 points and both go out.

Should Croatia win they will have at worst a 0 goal difference. Should Scotland win they would have at worst a -1 goal difference. But Scotland would need to win by two goals to go ahead of the Swiss.

Group E:
This, like Group B, looks one of the likeliest to have a third placed team on only 3 points.

But if Poland beat Sweden the third placed team will finish on 4 points.

There’s an outside chance Spain could sneak through on 3 points even with a draw against Slovakia but you’d think they’d need to win.

Conversely, it’s conceivable Sweden could be nudged out on 4 points if they lose by more than one goal against Poland.

Group F:
If Portugal lose to France they will finish on 3 points and face possible elimination depending on the other groups. A draw should see them through. This is presuming Germany beat Hungary.

It’s going to be a fascinating battle to see who draws the short straws.

2 Likes