Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Is it confirmed now that the tans will play one of Germany, France or Portugal?

Missed all of it but that was a beautiful goal by Modric

2 Likes

Modric could easily play in the next two world cups if he was that way inclined given how he plays the game.

1 Like

Unless Hungary beat Germany

1 Like

Germany will have some laugh when they come up against Rice and Philips in midfield.

He played the original ball out to the wing with the outside of the boot too.

That Modric goal was a beautiful strike but I thought Liam Brady over egged it by calling it the goal of the tournament.

But I don’t think it would be over egging it to suggest that Modric is one of the four or five best midfielders to ever play the game.

1 Like

England have been quite dull at every tournament in the last 15 years. Euro 2004 was the last time they brought entertainment value. The penalty shoot-outs in 2006 and 2012 against Portugal and Italy were somewhat entertaining but for the most part it’s been uninspiring fare. They would appear to have been a far more gung-ho team in the 90’s.

1 Like

I reckon Spain just need to draw as the goal difference will be enough. Slovakia need to avoid defeat by more than two goals so long as Poland don’t win. A Poland win will guarantee them progression

If France bate the Portuguese by 3 goals Portugal would be out. Otherwise bar Hungary toppling Germany its the big three only order to be decided

I wonder would Portugal drop those 2 donkeys in midfield? Surely Renato Sanchez would be better?

I don’t think that’s true. Bar Holland 1996 and maybe Argentina 1998 there wasn’t much gung ho about England in the 1990s. Even in those two matches they needed to score penalties (and in the Holland game a set piece as well) before they had the confidence to cut loose.

They were solid in 1990 but most of their matches were plain dour, then the Taylor era was turgid. They mixed some very dour stuff in Euro '96 alongside some good stuff.

1998 was a bit similar.

Gung-ho is definitely not a term I’d associate with England in the 1990s.

1 Like
1 Like

Or Hungary

1 Like

Who would you regard as the best 5 midfielders of the past 30 years?

I’d respect your opinion on it.

England played good stuff in 1990 & 1996 and have been dull enough since .

The common denominator was a firing Gazza. England hasn’t produced a midfielder as good since

I think it’s unlikely France will beat Portugal by the three goals needed to knock Portugal out.

Therefore I think Group E, the Spain group, is the best hope of saving Ukraine. Finland can pack up and make the short journey home I think.

There’s a defined formula to sort out the pairings of the round of 16 ties based on which groups produce the two third placed teams who fail to qualify.

At the moment it looks like the groups which produce the qualifiers will be either A/C/D/F or A/D/E/F.

Which one it is will have some important implications as regards the draw.

If it’s A/C/D/F, the relevant last 16 ties will be as follows:
Belgium v Portugal/Germany/France
Holland v Croatia
Winner Spain group v Ukraine
France/Germany/Portugal v Switzerland

But if it’s A/D/E/F, the relevant last 16 ties would change to:
Belgium v Sweden/Poland/Spain/Slovakia
Holland v Portugal/Germany/France
Winner Spain group v Croatia
France/Germany/Portugal v Switzerland

I love the story Fergie tells about a 19 year Gazza walking all over a midfield trio of Robson, Whiteside and Moses back in the late 1980’s

He must have been something else.

Fergie is a pisshead

I’ll have to be obvious and say
Iniesta
Xavi
Zidane
Modric
Pirlo

Midfield primarily has to be about control.

2 Likes

Gazza appeared to be a real maverick with his club choices over the years too. Could have chosen Man United over Spurs and I’m sure may have had enticing offers before signing for Lazio and Rangers too. Presume Spurs were building a bit of momentum in the late 80’s that he ended up there? Although I think it was a house for his parents that sealed the deal.