Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

It’s been said that Bale will do this, play sparingly for Cardiff or Swansea and concentrate on playing for Wales.

I’ve a notion that before the 1994 World Cup the US Soccer Federation contracted most of their players centrally, so they trained together like a club team. I wonder would you ever see a sugar daddy take over a national federation like this and pay the players to just play international football. Or more likely, take over a club team and sign every international player from a particular country.

1 Like

Huge ask for Wales to finish in the top 2 of that group with Belgium and the Czech Republic. The 1-0 win at home to the Czech’s gives them a decent chance of 2nd place and a play off-spot though you’d imagine.

1 Like

That’s not what happens on football manager anyway.

1 Like

Wales have a play off through nations league anyway.

For the World Cup? I think those play-offs are only applicable to the Euros where there’s 24 spots on offer. Only 13 European teams can go to the World Cup. Think one or two of the 2nd placed teams with lower points tallies will miss out on the play-offs completely.

Edit: Wales seem well placed for one of
The two play-off spots through the Nations League alright. Did they win tier B?

Won their group anyway i think.

Imagine if the French had brought Mendy, Upamecano, Konate and Theo Hernandez?
… and left Varane, Digne, Pavard and the other Hernandez at home.

1 Like

Upemecano and Konate are very erratic from what I’ve seen at Leipzig.

With no Pavard, Dubois would have been their only right-back?

The lad at Sevilla can cover right back I think.

A quick Google suggest he’s played there three times over the past 2 seasons. I don’t think Pavard is brilliant but it’s almost certainly better to have an actual right-back playing right-back than having a centre-back.

Pavard is really a centre back himself. Think he had never really played full back before the last World Cup and was a centre back at Stuttgart.

England have no left back and are doing grand.

Your pal Luke walked all over the Germans.

Was he playing?!!

Odd that France had a couple of diddies playing at centre back for them and left yer man Laporte defect to Spain.

I wonder will Vlad get the fix in at the weekend and nobble the Ukrainians. It will play very badly at home if the Ukrainians make it to the semis after the Russians were sent home with their tea in a mug.

I give the Swiss a hell of a chance this eve. Is jt just Xhaka suspended?

I reckon they’ve their final won.

Yeah he’s the only change