Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Unsurprising really. Eire soccer supporters are obsessed with English football, both the English club game and the England national side. The Eire National Broadcaster and media are only giving the public what they want.

3 Likes

Except the ones that aren’t, but would follow Scottish football closely

I thought England had already won the tournament? :thinking:

and the same scottish celtic fans are also obsessed about the EPL and England national team

No. They’re not.

Stop lying, it’s the EPL bartstoolers who are obsessed with the English national team.

Why wouldn’t they be? Following and pledging undying allegiances to English soccer clubs (that in the vast majority of cases they have no local or familial attachment to) is the favourite sporting pastime in Eire. Stands to reason in an international tournament that Eire are not there to make up the numbers in, the Eire soccer public is embracing and supporting this wonderful England team so enthusiastically.

Should they not be focusing on their own country and if not involved just taking in the football as a neutral.

Eire are not in the tournament. Eire soccer fans in the main have tunnel vision when it comes to the club side of things. They just follow the English club game and rabidly support their English club team of choice, mostly Man U or Liverpool.

It’s only a small minority of soccer hipsters who follow what’s going on over in continental Europe.

You haven’t addressed my point.

Only West Brits are obsessed with English football.

If that makes the hundred of thousands (probably even over the million mark) of Eire soccer fans who are obsessed with English soccer, West Brits, so be it.

Surely you can find some Italian language channel to watch it on? I went down to my local Italian chipper on Friday night for some Friday night takeaway and the lads there had the Italy v Belgium game on from Italian TV.

Correct. I have been able to avoid any media on England and other teams by not reading it, and especially not tuning into any British media. People can piss and moan about Sky or BBC hyping it up but they choose to watch it, so either stop complaining about a British tv station or switch it off, or turn off the sound when watching it and put on continental radio to hear it in some other language.
Looking at the diving video of immobile, I’m glad I wasted no time sitting through full games, and just check out the 10 min highlights on YouTube. The game is fucked with this carry on. If I were the Belgian I would have followed him and punched him or kicked him to give him something to roll around about.
But the rules are there, and if players are playing to the edge of the rules without getting punished for it, more power to them. It’s not just the Italians either. They’re all at it. Italy and Spain will look like there are teams of snipers in the stands.

Havent heard a pundit giving Denmark a chance yet. England will probably go with 5 at the back again so basically have 3 attacking players, Sterling, Mount and Kane. People forget that Scotland drew with England and should have beaten them. Denmark totally outplayed England at Wembley last year in nations league, think Maguire was send off in that game. I think Denmark have a great chance.

1 Like

The hype on bbc/itv is nothing compared to the way our media treat the Irish rugby team for example. England at least have gotten past a quarter final in their last two tournaments. A little perspective needed here I think

You wouldn’t see the Brits painting sheep like the Mayo folk in full hype season.

Shure Mayo lads can do nearly anything with a sheep.

Sure @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy is the simpleton who was yesterday boasting about the Italians’ supposedly obsessive hatred for England.

This was apparently based on something in La Repubblica, which he consistently and erroneously spells “La Republicca” - bit of a novice mistake that - it’s a bit like somebody spelling “Trapattoni” “Trappatoni”. Lads who are fake Italians with no actual knowledge of the language tend to make this kind of novice mistake.

2 Likes

a bionda, beato che ti monta
se montarti saro io
beato al cazzo mio

Why do the Italians supposedly hate England? You’d think they’d be eternally grateful after Bob Paisley and his associates liberated them from Mussolini and fascism.

I’m very confident.

Denmark have beaten England in their last two competitive games at Wembley.

1 Like

Danny Makilele in charge of the whistle Wednesday night. Was hoping for Kuipers or Cakir.

Dr. Felix is the official tomorrow night.