Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

He didn’t. Busquets was allowed to control the entire tempo

Italy basically had one good chance in the whole game. The Belotti one at 1-0 which Simon saved. Chiesa’s goal was very nice but it needed a brilliant finish, it was only a half chance really. Olmo’s was a great chance about half way through the first half and a good save by Donnarumma as well as the header and Spain’s goal was also a great chance

Olmo’s was a shot from around the penalty spot with just the keeper to beat

He broke up a lot of play, started off the move for the goal. Put a serious shift in. Played well I thought. What matters in football in results, not statistics. Italy had more mettle and conviction about them. Had a lot less of the play but more purpose.

So was Berardi’s. I fail to see these chances Spain had. They struggled to create chances, they moved the ball well but when it came to the final third struggle.

Spain are a bit you know, they try and wear you down but they don’t really go at you. When Italy went forward they did it with purpose.

1 Like

What match were you watching?!

Spain still had the better chances and were the better team throughout the game. They created 3 clear chances of which they took one. Italy created 1 and took a different 1

1 Like

What are they saying on tonight’s El Chiringuito @the_man_himself?

That’s nonsense. Clearly you are hurting.

The only real chance Spain had was the missed header outside the goal. After that Berardi’s chance was the next best.

Spain huffed and puffed but didn’t create. They dominated the midfield but you have to be more progressive with the ball.

1 Like

You’re obviously forgetting the Olmo chance in the first half, you thought it was outside the box. The ball dropped to him 12 yards out with just the keeper to beat. They didn’t create that much but they definitely created more than Italy and were the better team throughout

1 Like

The Spanish midfield tonight resembled their infamous Armada of 1588. All bluster, lots of possession, but ultimately failed to make enough inroads.

The Olmo chance was not a better chance than Berardi’s which was a terrible miss. You cited a floaty shot from Busquets as one of Spain’s best chances.

Italy looked pretty comfortable defensively, they dealt with the pressure well, were compact and bar the header didn’t cough up much.

The tears of unfathomable sadness

Yes the Berardi chance was a good chance, I attributed that to Belotti earlier. That’s one good chance Italy had in the game. Olmo’s was still better by the way, Berardi was on the angle while Olmo was in the middle of the goal. Spain had 2 other good chances also, Italy had none and the goal was a great finish from a half chance

Emerson hit the bar too. Italy also dithered on a greart chance when Simon was in no man’s land. All Spain had was the header.

Everything else was pot shots.

And the goal and Olmo’s chance. Here I’ll get a video of the Olmo chance for you as you clearly don’t remember it

See 50 seconds in

I’ll be waiting for the translation I’m afraid mate

Olmo got a lucky ricochet there but had little time to take the shot. Berardi on the other hand had so much time. Emerson hit the bar too.

Spain really flattered to deceive, lots of the ball but they lacked courage on it, went for the safe option too much. Italy were braver in it and tried to take the progressive option. Fortune favoured the brave in the end as Spain were relying on percentage balls and hoping something would come off.

I caught a snippet of El Chiringuito there @Cheasty where they were complaining about Alba being humiliated by Chiellini prior to the start of the penalties. You’d have to say Sergio wouldn’t have let that happen

Spain had 1 offside in 120 minutes. They had little ambition on the ball.