Euro 2020 thread (Part 1)

Didi would be mad for a few pints outside Corrigan’s

2 Likes

Didi would get very loud after a few pints.

They’d need the snug to themselves.

Was this on The Tonight Show tonight?

Yes Eamon just said Didi and Liam were staying with him but were in no fit state to come on camera tonight.

2 Likes

They were hid

1 Like
1 Like

Sadlier and them are wankers. I hope dunphy is back for the final.

1 Like
2 Likes

You can’t get more English than that.

Some lads here take football punditry waaaay too seriously.

Kevin Doyle is spot on here. A lot of lads here got over emotional the other night because they were so desperate for England to lose. The reality is there was contact from two players on Sterling and an examination of the replay proves it. The penalty was correctly awarded.

1 Like

Cheasty

There was reference the other night that the VAR guys saw more angles thst us plebs saw on TV .

Is that so ???

I’ve not actually seen it before. That was a penalty all day long.

1 Like

Haven’t a clue mate. That angle comes straight from the telly. The problem with an incident like the Sterling one is that emotions are running so high at the time and people are so invested either way that people can barely make sense of what they’re seeing.

I myself felt at the time that it probably wasn’t a penalty but that it was a close call either way. I certainly felt Didi Hamann was seriously overegging the pudding by saying what he said, which was obviously massively coloured by him wanting Denmark to win. Closer examination in the cold light of day shows there clearly was material contact and the decision was correct. Anybody who has played any contact sport at any level knows a slight knock to the side of the knee like that will bring a player down. The barging from the other defender merely completed the job.

I wonder will England bring in Henderson for Mount to match up with Italy’s midfield?

That would be bizarre and not really match up with England.

Mount will be detailed to track Jorginho surely? He’s a vastly superior player to Henderson.

If Henderson were to come in for anyone it would be Rice or Phillips. A midfield 3 of Henderson, Rice and Phillips would be even more cautious and risk averse.

Football journalist Darren Lewis from the highly regarded Daily Mirror came out with this beauty in the last 24 hours:

“There is two things I think about the Italian midfield. One thing is that Jorginho is not the same player without Kante alongside him.

His passing range is fantastic but it’s more effective when he has someone like Kante doing all that graft and hardwork.

Verratti is a fascinating one too because he is a good player, but when is the last time he had a good game in a big game, in a really big game?

He tends to go missing at club level. There are lots of people who might disagree with me, but does he turn up in those big games?”

Not to be outdone on the stupidity index, ex England player Danny Mills said the following:

“If you match them up player for player, Rice and Jorginho, I don’t think there’s much between them. Obviously Jorginho is a lot more experienced. I think Declan Rice has been fantastic the way he just sits in front.

Jorginho has maybe got a better range of passing, but he doesn’t play forward passes…

Then I’m looking at Phillips versus Verratti. They’re both very good on the ball, Phillips is very good on the ball and takes all the set-pieces for Leeds don’t forget. That’s a big responsibility…

Then you go Mason Mount up against [Nicolo] Barella, I think Mount is better than him.

It’s quite balanced in there, but if our three play well we dominate that midfield battle.”

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

The delusion is strong in this one.

4 Likes

England’s biggest weakness is their keeper. Maguire has been playing well and stones too after that it’s a strong team.

I’d say both the Italian centre backs struggled v Spain playing with no striker but should be more suited to dealing with kane.

2 Likes

Pickford will be so pumped up he’ll blow a gasket. Chiellini should wind him up on the first corner kick and set the tone