Euro 2024- Lamine Yamal:Wonderkid

They’ll get another one.

Given the talent they’ve had over the years it’s an abomination that they’ve played such uninspiring football for pretty much all the modern era. Even their relatively successful tournaments in 1990 and 2018 have been turgid enough (bar the 3-2 against Cameroon). I’d say Euro 96’, World Cup 98’ and Euro 2004 are the only tournaments where they’ve actually played entertaining football. Euro 2020 was entertaining because of the narrative.

They were alright in 2002 too

Englands problem is they dont have the manager. A decent manager will organise whatever talent they have but you need a manager that won’t give a fuck about the media and being liked. One who will drop who he wants and not give a shite what is said.

Terry was the man. Taylor was too nice. Bobby was nice and had a bit of steel and was unlucky. Sven wanted to be liked. And so on and so on.

That Dubravka is a poor keeper. His tendency to punch the ball when he could catch it has caught up with Slovakia.

2 Likes

Euro 2020 also gave us a lovely insight into english culture. Huge groups of men abusing foreigners and celebrating taking cocaine en mass.
Good old England

Amazing they actually gave Slovakia a few openings there. The Germans would win this 5-1.

Ballsy substitutions

This is what you get slaughtered for…

Konsa now playing LWB

I thought that. Punched it once too often.

Strange those subs.

If Slovakia equalise who do England turn to?

England have been almost uniformly turgid in major international tournaments in my lifetime. You could pick out the individual matches which have been an exception.

People talk about Euro '96 but they’re only referring to the game against a Holland team who were split down the middle. They were as turgid as ever in the quarter-final against Spain and Germany steadily got the better of them in the semi-final and deserved to win, though it was ultimately a game that could have gone either way.

In my lifetime, exciting England at major finals has been reduced to the following matches:
Argentina 1986 (last 10 minutes only)
West Germany 1990
Holland 1996
Argentina 1998
Euro 2000 v Portugal and Romania (and they were a clown car in those games)
Maaaybe Denmark 2002
Croatia 2004
Sweden 2012
Colombia and Croatia 2018 (first halves only)
Ukraine 2021

When they needed to run the clock down in ordinary time he was punching it back to the English.

Are they really though?

Southgate took a gamble on Ivan toney and it paid off !!

This is the chance

Some of them are.
England are absolutely shite

England v Portugal in 2004 as well? I was outside playing sports for a good chunk of it was very dramatic from the parts I saw.

Southgate has worked his magic and completely switched England off again

2 Likes

The Portuguese thoroughly deserved to win that. Owen nicked a Miroslav Klose 2010 style goal off a kickout in the first two minutes, then Rooney had to go off injured soon after. England held on until about 10 minutes left but the Portuguese battered them really.