Euro U21 Championships 2019

I always very much enjoy this tournament and even more so as we are hosting it this year.

We are drawn with Spain, Poland and Belgium. As only the 1st placed side in the group is guaranteed progression then it will be a vital opening match against Spain.

Common sense has prevailed as we have released guys like Donnarumma, Chiesa, Barella, Zaniolo, Kean and Mancini to the senior set up after they have all made the breakthrough in the past year or two.

1 Like

Fantastic achievement for Northern Ireland to qualify for this.

1 Like

I’m Italian.

Chiesa, Meret, Barrella, Zaniolo, Kean, Mancini and Pellegrini have all been added to the squad for this. I think it’s a bit harsh on some of the lads who go it there and will certainly add pressure on the team to succeed.

We open against Spain tomorrow night in what is likely the group decider.

Pinamonti has been ruled out with a knee injury, he was the star of the U20 side who recently made the semi final of the U20 World Cup. He is replaced by Federico Bonazzoli. Davide Calabria also misses out with injury.

I’d expect the team to line out something like this:

----------------------------------------------------Meret

Adjuapong------------------Mancini----------------Romagna-------------Pezzella

---------------------Pellegrini--------------Mandragora-----------Barrella

Zaniolo----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Chiesa

-------------------------------------------------Kean

We look to have by far the strongest squad called up for this so anything short of a cup would be hugely disappointing.

[quote=“Cicero_Dandi, post:4, topic:28193, full:true”]

How many cups is there to play for?

Wouldn’t mind the others but Barella being chosen seems a bit weird given he’s a definite starter for the senior team

So is Chiesa and Pellegrini made his full debut a couple of years back and hasn’t been involved in the u21 side in years.

Just looking at their squad there Spain seem to have a very good midfield as usual. Should be a good game tomorrow

Forza Azzurri.

Packed house in Bologna.

Zaniolo on the right, he’s much better through the middle but hard to fit him in there as it is.

Ceballos with an absolute screamer. What a goal.

Is this broadcast somewhere?

Sky.

Magic feet from Ceballos there.

Ceballos has been a class above here.

Spain have been the better side here but Kean has the Spanish defence in the terrors when he gets on the ball.

Ceballos feet are so so good. What a player.

There’s a nice undercurrent of nastiness to this.

Kean is going to be our protagonist.