Europa League Round of 32 featuring Celtic v Zenit ☘ 🍀 🇮🇪 🇷🇺

Atalanta are 2-1 up on dortmund now. Dortmund look a complete rabble

Great goal by Batshuayi

Decent start by Celtic

Celtic doing ok . Zenit well beatable . Brian Kerr getting on Dembele’s case .

Celtic playing very well. McGregor outstanding.

1 Like

McGregor puts Celtic ahead.

Musonda did terrific in the lead up to the goal

Lovely by Musonda

Musonda is amazing

Great stuff

McGregor was immense tonight, he was like Iniesta in a kilt.

1 Like

Celtic were superb tonight.

Thank you bhoys.

:shamrock:

:brendan:

1 Like

4 Likes

Brendan

That’s a beauty. Can’t bate a serious counter. :brendan::brendanback:

Lovely goal. Great composure

Bhoys, that was as complete a European performance as you’ll get. A tremendous display. To get that level of control, cohesion and class with so many players unavailable was a great testament to the manager and squad.

3 at the back with wing backs worked a treat and I think we surprised them with that. McGregor got into great positions ahead of the midfield 3 throughout and his link up play with Dembélé was excellent. I was also very impressed with Kouassi and that 3-5-1-1 set up allowed us to have plenty of bodies in midfield and control the game too.

I saw mention above of Brian Kerr criticising Dembélé. It might be warranted only if it related to one specific incident (possibly holding back for a cut back in the first half when a ball was fizzed across the 6-yard line?) but his overall performance was outstanding.

Celtic supporters, by and large, demand domestic dominance but Europe is about showing the best of ourselves, performing to the maximum and seeing what happens. You can’t be guaranteed the result when coming up against richer teams from higher quality leagues (and next week will be tough) but displays like last night are what it’s all about.

3 Likes

Edit: Double post.

What a goal too by the way.

Indeed that was a tremendous display.

Not one poor performer. Simunovic was probably the only slightly dodgy contributor thanks to one errant pass in the second half but was otherwise very solid. Those lads were top scorers in the EL group stages and our back 3 were very comfortable other than one occasion after the Forrest slip.

But the midfield and Dembele were on another level again. Easy to forget how young these guys are. Kouassi and Ntcham excelled in their more advanced pressing roles and Brown was brilliant behind them. I’d say McGregor supporting Dembele were our best players though. Dembele won everything played up to him and linked really well with McGregor who took up great support positions. And it was excellent to see Musonda doing the same after McGregor moved back when Kouassi went off.

Magnificent.

4 Likes

Ajer looks a great player, really developing into a very solid centre half. For a big guy, he’s got a bit of pace too.

@Rocko, do you have a clip of Ajer doing a Felipe Melo style celebration when he did the slide tackle on the chap in the corner in the first half?

1 Like