European U21 Championships 2017

This will kick off in a few weeks now. The tournament has been expanded to 12 teams now meaning the top group winner will go through along with the best runner up. There will be three groups of four

Group A
England
Sweden
Poland
Slovakia

Group B
Spain
Portugal
Serbia
Macedonia

Group C
Germany
Czech Republic
Denmark
Italy

Group A is the handiest by far, Group C is the group of death. Germany and Italy along with a Czech side boasting Jakub Jankto and Patrik Schick who will likely make big moves this summer. The Danes will be decent too.

England should cruise through, Napoli aren’t releasing Millik or Zielinski for this tournament.

I’d imagine none of the big nations like Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany or England will be including their established senior internationals for this. In this case I would count the following as being absent:

Italy: Bernardeschi, Romagnoli, Donnarumma are all firmly part of the senior set up now and I don’t see them being selected. Rugani will miss out with a knee injury while it will be interesting to see if Gagliardini is included as he recently made the step up to the senior squad. Emerson is eligible for u-21 but he has just won his first call up to the senior squad so I think it’s very unlikely he will be in the u-21 tournament squad given he’s never played a game with them.
Spain: Don’t seem to have many players fully established at senior level yet so the likes of Asensio, Bellerin and Williams are likely to be selected.
Germany: Germany have announced their squad and left out quite a few big names who are now established in the senior set up, these include Sane, Goretzka, Henrichs, Brandt, Sule, Werner and Ginter.
Portugal: Andre Silva, Jaoa Cancelo Bernardo Silva, Renato Sanches, and Gelson Martins are all eligible for this competition but unlikely to be picked as they have all progressed to the senior ranks.
England: Stones, Alli, Dier, Sterling, Rashford and Shaw will all be left out do their progression to senior international football.

I always find this an exciting tournament. I would put Spain as favourites, they will likely have a really strong squad with players like Deulofeu and Ansesnio leading the charge. Only the group winner guaranteed to progress makes it very exciting.

Sweden, Czechs, Denmark, Serbia and Poland will be the outsiders. Slovakia and Macedonia will be there to make up the numbers.

France once again fail to qualify which is amazing giving the young football talent available to them.

Germany are the pre-tournament favourties.

Italy represent the value bet at 11s. Solid at the back and very good in midfield, bit light in attack after Berardi but we’ll be hard to beat.

Italy have named a very strong side, only really Romagnoli missing from our strongest players.

Kicked off today.

England and Sweden drew 0-0.

Poland and Slovakia currently 1-1.

I have tickets for Denmark v Italy Sunday night, germany v denmark on Wednesdsy and Germany v Italy Saturday night. All games in Cracovia’s ground.

1 Like

The group of death.

Italy have an extremely strong squad for this, Romagnoli the only full interntational not involved. I think they’ll be the favs with Spain.

Yeah. Spain look decent. Looking forward to it. Couldn’t get semi final or final tickets, pity.

1 Like

Slovaks lead 2-1.

Polaks caught on the break.

Po ro po po po po pooooo

2-1 slovakia. Polacks are shite.

Slovak keeper with a savage save.

1 Like

What channal?

On Sky and ESPN. And Polsat

1 Like

Polacks sent home with tea in mug. Bandwagon derailed early.

Spain three up HT. Saul niguez, Asensio and Delefou. Portugal won earlier.

Cheap vodka in their mug I’d say

That Spain u21 team would beat nearly every national team around

We’ll see how they get on.

Portugal are very strong too. I didn’t see the matches yesterday but beating Serbia 2-0 was an impressive result too.

Very excited about this Italy team too.

3 Likes

That’s a lovely stadia.

Cracovia. Lovely. 2nd row seats. Good buzz already

2 Likes