Fagan talks about Jam

Lingering.

3 Likes

Out of the fridge

Did you have to
did you have to

@Fagan_ODowd - I’ve just moved into a house which has an apple tree laden with fruit in the back garden.

Two questions, when is the best time to start picking? Is now to early - they seem to be beginning to fall off or either the foxes or magpies are going at them

Secondly, what’s the handiest/best use of them?

Thanks

Usually around September is picking time but if they’re beginning to fall now then you best get picking.

I expect a nice bottle of 6.5% cider delivered in the post around October.

1 Like

You can make jams, sauce, juice … Pie, crumble. Poached apples. Cider. Toffee apples… you’ll have your hands full for the next month.

1 Like

Get em off the ground fast. Rats love em.

An acquired taste though, not at all like your jam

If they are starting to fall it’s time to pick them. What you do with them depends on how much you have. The suggestions above are all fine but don’t be thinking about cider unless you have an orchard. To make cider you’d need to either build or buy a press and you’d need an enormous amount of apples to generate a reasonable amount of juice.

1 Like

Made 4 pots of blackberry jam there tonight.

Few nice trees out n the in laws, this’ll keep us going for a while

Blackberries very disappointing

6 Likes

I found the blackberries to be quite small this year.

I’ll be trying a marrow and ginger jam.

Depends what type of apples they are.

I’ve tasted them in the last couple of weeks - quite pleasant to eat actually, surprisingly sweet

Well all you can do then is store them and eat them.

Whether an apple is suitable for eating, cooking, or making cider has to do with the sugar and pectin levels I think. A level above my pay grade here. Sure they’re a book you could buy. I swear by this one. Years old now.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/90016341?iid=383261416012

1 Like

Those are apples mate

2 Likes

Marrow and ginger jam.

2 Likes

What would you use that on?

Be lovely on a scone or a bit of toast for the breakfast.