Faldo's DIY General thread

Your next job is to move the tap over the sink. You’ll find it much handier to use there.

2 Likes

Iv got a lot of good advice on this thread (surprisingly maybe!)

Have a shower upstairs. Not electric works off the hot water.

Has in recent weeks gotten a habit of starting up but as water pressure increases the water just stops coming out… If you lift or drop the shower head will start again (sometimes) other times just stays blocked

Plumber out last week and he told my missus it was lime in shower head and to descale with vinegar… This is absolute bollix anyway because same issue occurs with the shower head off

Through tricking around with it Iv realised that if you turn water up to hottest setting its fine but it’s the cold water addition is causing the issue… Assume the cold water coming in at higher rate or something

Anyway, maybe I haven’t explained this well but advice appreciated before I pay another plumber

Sounds like there’s a problem with the pump within the shower to me. What make is it and how old is it?

Edit, that plumber sounds like a complete jackass not to even take the shower head off. I suppose he charged you well for his incompetence?

1 Like

@FatChops is your go to man here for shower problems.

3 Likes

@anon67715551 had a fix for this

1 Like

I don’t understand.

Plumber sounds like a genius to me

Does it work alright in the other bathrooms etc connected to it if you turn on both hot and cold at the same time?

1 Like

It sounds OK to me albeit ‘straining’ a bit before water stops… When it’s working it works fine.

It’s a Triton about 2 years old

He didn’t really… He’s done plenty work here before and he was next door so my missus nabbed him… He is not great in general though

1 Like

Water starts running fine
Then after a minute or so it’s starts to slow down to a trickle
If you take the shower head out of holder and raise it up or drop it down it sometimes ‘frees’ it up and works away fine

Yes

The only function the shower has is to pressurise the hot and cold water going into it. If the pump in the shower unit is working properly it shouldn’t matter if you raise it up, drop it down or whatever, it should still pressurise the water.

My non expert view would be that there’s either a problem with the pump or there’s a filter within the shower unit that may be partially blocked. There should be an additional model type rather than just triton written on the shower. Google the manual for it and see if there’s a filter that could need cleaning. Failing that I’d contact Triton and have one of their engineers look at it rather than a general plumber

1 Like

Twist on the inner hose?

1 Like

Thanks a lot pal

1 Like

I’d start with running the shower as normal. Problem: Remove the shower head and monitor water flow.
If flowing in fits and starts your problem may well be in the hosing. Remove the hosing and shower head and replace with similar from your other shower.
You’ll determine via this process where the problem is (internal or external).
If still in difficulty, there’s a lime particle jamming a valve internally. Given that you haven’t reached this point by yourself it’s possible you need the plumber to remove the offending piece of grit.
Attempt steps 1+2 before anything more drastic.

2 Likes

I doubt it seeing as it works fine sometimes

1 Like

If a fella was going to remove the casing do you just turn off the showers at the fuse board first?

Air lock !?