Faldo's DIY General thread

:rofl: You’re a gas man.

2 Likes

Era only codding never seriously diss any man’s effort in work, enough pricks at it

1 Like

Jaysus, shure it would collapse under the weight of a protractor

2 Likes

Started the top today… Inbetween teaching a young one to cycle and pulling another down off a tree half the day(she’s learned to climb trees today, very happy with herself) :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

7 Likes

Move the tool bag you messy fucker!!

There’s a gap in the middle there mate

1 Like

That’s called character mate… That’s what you pay the big money for :joy::joy:

3 Likes

You should arrest yourself for that “work”

2 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

Reminds me of one I took photos of in Germany.
It’s on my lengthy to-do list.

3 Likes

I’m considering a heat pump for UFH on the ground floor, retro fitting into a suspended timber floor… Am I wasting my time and money thinking this is a good idea?

Rip everything out
Fill the floor, whack in layers, sand, membrane, insulation and screed…

External insulation wrap on the outside, paying attention to reduce leaks around windows, doors and vents…

Rads remain for upstairs…

Madness?

I was looking at a job last week and the homeowner was in the process of fitting underfloor heating mats, there’s a screed of compound on top and then he was laying a solid oak floor over the whole area, he was Canadian and reckoned it was fairly efficient

2 Likes

Electric coil mats? I’d only be interested in a wet system I think.

1 Like

I understand,
I think one of the most important thing about running an underfloor heating system from your boiler is to leave it running continuously on a low setting for efficiency

Not madness, but it’ll cost you. For alternative, I’d consider replacing the windows and doing an internal dryline insulated system rather than external insulated render. Depending on area, this could work out similar price range. You would also lose the 100mm or so of internal space, but external insulation render is a very expensive system. It’s weighing up the pros and cons of options and costs. You’ll be replacing cills on external option and hard to get enough wrap onto windows if there isn’t enough of a frame to go in to. Replacing windows could improve heat loss too.

Also, consider getting a BER assessment as they’d be best placed to tell you what would work to improve the rating on the house.

4 Likes

Sound advice

Sound…

I’ll be going with new windows and doors throughout; its a rough and ready place at the monent. The sills are timber (i shit you not) so the whole thing needs an upgrade. The outside needs a re-render so I was considering the external wrap.

Trying to figure out the best approach to maximize heat retention/air quality and ensuring insulation contractor, window installer and builder are all on the same page.

See what thickness on the external facade you want, because it can be up to €100m2 extra on standard nap render. Good system, but expensive. Again, your BER assessor would give best advise on what build up to the external wall, whether dryline, pumped or external insulation will give you. Doing the floor and attic makes a big difference, and air tight tape to windows and you could go with a membrane on the ceilings too. A hape of money you could throw at it all, but any upgrades all need to work together or else you will literally be throwing money away.

1 Like

I’m no expert but have built recently and did plenty research on heat pumps. I would say that a HP is only suited to a new house where you have the ability to make it airtight. Not sure how airtight you can make a refurb. Even if you insulate the shit out of it, the airtightness is key for HP efficiency. You might be as well off to put in oil and better rads, increase insulation to make it more comfortable. Resellers are only interested in selling them and will tell you it will be fine. There’ll be no sign of them when you start getting 800 euro ESB bills.

2 Likes

Do you live in a log cabin?