Faldo's DIY General thread

External rendering is for life though or is it?
Maintenance free AFAIK

That’s expensive… thanks for the info.

The need to get it all to work together is clear… get it wrong and the whole thing could be a costly mistake.

Sound man.

1 Like

Yeah the big worry is the fact that it’s a refurb of a house that’s in poor shape. The return on the outlay is not having €800 ESB bills on top of a tank of oil obviously…

That’s where getting good, honest trades is a must.

1 Like

Only way I’d be happy doing what you want is to give it all to a builder and have it in the contract that the house has to be A2 and lower than 2 (air changes at 50pa) on the Airtightness test. He’ll either be able to do it or not.

3 Likes

Loads of retrofits getting below the required Heat Loss Indicator for heat pumps… Once you replace the windows you can get the air tightness right down. External is more expensive but it eliminates the risk of mould within the property which can be a risk with thick dry lining boards.

Under floor heating is a far better system for even distribution of heat. If you are looking to go the grant route with the heat pump then be wary that rads in bathrooms will need to be replaced for a larger rad with a greater surface area. A ridiculously large rad!

Consider ventilation in all this too especially if you are aiming for a good air tightness result. … Aereco offer a cost effective demand controlled ventilation unit if the budget isn’t there for a full MHRV system.

You’ll can get an A2 on that house but it will cost you. Also check out the National Retrofit Scheme. Claim up to 35% back but plenty red tape.

2 Likes

I’m going to read that right now!

I fear my affinity with cash and it’s associated economy is going to run counter to the ethos of such a certified scheme :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Thanks for all the info…

2 Likes

Anyone know anything about the underfloor heating mats?? Look easy to install.

Are they any good though? Heavy on electricity?

New toy came today :see_no_evil:

6 Likes

Would that cut up a body? Asking for a friend.

5 Likes

No problem, if the price was right

They say the blade will cut anything. Which it does, but I fecked up mine cutting mild steel. So bigger bones might be a problem.

Also of note is that the blade bore size is imperial or something unusual. So it only likes Evolution blades as a replacement. The others will fit with placement rings but it’s a tricky enough job and not a job you’d like to be doing every day if cutting different materials. So be warned.

Ah ya, I’ve a festool mitre saw too that I use on site. I just got this for at home. Won’t be moving from here hopefully… Decent saw in fairness

1 Like

I’d never cut Steel with it anyway tbh…

1 Like

Second bench nearly there to go with the table top​:wink::wink:

10 Likes

That’s very refreshing after some of the stuff @iron_mike has posted up.

4 Likes

You’re a bad fucker so you are. Like awarded. :wink:

2 Likes

How’s the knee, maneen?

1 Like

Ah it’s very slow… Was doing well up until a few weeks ago… Ice on here as I type. Swelling up like a balloon again… Hopefully only a minor set back!

1 Like

What you do to it?