Faldo's DIY General thread

Feed a wire into it and see if it arrives in the overflow pipe of the tank

1 Like

That’s a good idea

That’s the overflow from your tank. If water is draining out of it your ballcock is fucked. That’s the holy all of it.

8 Likes

That’s it, had a similar issue in our previous abode and the ballcock needed to be replaced

1 Like

Yeah bang on id say

There’s probably a bit of dirt stuck in the ballcock or the rubber is worn. It’s an easy enough fix if you know what you’re doing. If not you could flood the house. So it sounds like you need to call a plumber.

The solution is to push down the ballcock and get a good flow of water into the valve and hopefully blast out the dirt. Or poke it out with your little finger.

If that doesn’t work, tie up the ballcock and drain down the tank. This gives you time to play around with the swivel and have a good look at the rubber. You can visibly check the rubber washer and test it multiple times until you’re happy that it’s working ok.

There shouldn’t be anything obstructing the up/down movement of the ballcock.

2 Likes

Sounds like a few Celtic Tiger installs I’ve seen. I’d be opening up the filter and inspecting it and cleaning it out. And the head as well. Whatever gunk is at the bottom of he tank gets drawn in if the water runs low. If you’re sure the feed is sound then the solenoid is probably sticking. If you have a mother-in-law bring her on to help with fault finding.

Triton are brutal. Just brutal. Buy Mira lads.

Is he banging one of them he is?

2 Likes

What appears to have happened initially was there was an old duvet covering the board that was over the tank. In the process of putting the Xmas decorations back in the attic the board got moved and some of the duvet dropped into the tank. By the process of osmosis the water soaked up into the duvet therfore giving it more weight and causing more of it to drop in… Eventually it weighed down the ballcock until it was releasing water non stop. I sorted that but id say it has damaged the ballcock alright and it needs replacing.

1 Like

The great ballcock cock-up then. There’s an hour-long “Fuck-ups to avoid” in it.
I’m mildly embarrassed for you on this one.

1 Like

He made some ballcock of things

2 Likes

Dad Joking GIF by MULTI AWESOME STUDIO

Indeed. I wouldn’t be left near anything important

Freezer leaking in the fridge freezer unit here.

Finally diagnosed the source. A messy job which will await me tomorrow evening. Have to empty the contents to an old chest freezer and strip it down.

I suppose he is. She seems nice as Flatty would say. Goes to mass and all.

After a few uses the shower seems to be fixing itself. Drip drop much reduced.

3 Likes

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Fair play to him.

I’d say leave the shower to the Turk.

No, she’s Brazilian…

Post deleted…

These new style bikes, I’m not familiar with them at all. @balbec or @flattythehurdler theres about 2mm of play in the flywheel. Is that normal? I don’t have a wrench to take it off. I can’t actually remember how they come off.

There was a chain jam and the derailer twisted. I straightened it but the chain rises off the freewheel when I reverse it by hand in maintenance mode as you might say. Just afraid it’ll just jam again. How can I get that flywheel off?

There’s a locking tool that you need to hold it in position while you use a wrench in the other position. Mike in O’Connell Ave will sort you out in five minutes

2 Likes