FAO Chartered Accountants

I shared a LUAS carriage with Gordon D’Arcy this morning. We both alighted at Charlemont (not my usual stop) and made our way along the canal. I stopped at Coffee2go for a flat white and a granola pot and at which point I lost Gordon.

Interestingly Gordon was clutching an accounting text book so he may be joining our hallowed ranks in the future. I’d suspect he’s not going the chartered route at his age but it must still be pleasing for him to see he can have a fulfilling career even after wasting his 20s on a hobby.

1 Like

He’s working in Investec as far as I know

Think he left there a while back after a stint of a few years.

Is he the right sort of chap to join the Institute?

Gordon is an alright sort.

I have a certain respect for him in not fluting about after his sports career ended, trying to make money doing nothing and eventually failing and instead being prepared to take on the drudgery of an office job which must have been shite after being a professional rugby player.

1 Like

It’s not a real job

Business Development Manager at First Derivatives

It’s a Nicky English job.

Tough on these chaps when they finally join the workplace and they realise how far behind their peers they are.

Look it, I’m sure he has a nice few quid in the bank from his playing days and will probably pick up another 100k a year for bringing clients out to lunch, attending their functions etc. I’m sure he’s happy out.

He could be driving a forklift for a chipper I suppose.

He could be doing the Cap 1s for his own interest. He has business interests of his own.

Eoin Reddan did a summer internship when he was winding down playing in Davy before joining them full time (I think). He did it all, including being the photocopying bitch.

1 Like

Or fixing the photocopier

Or filling the vending machine

1 Like

Being assistant to a case manager in Investec is a massive step up from international professional rubby.

2 Likes

Works in aircraft leasing, I think.

Nearly every young lad you speak to these days wants to work in aircraft leasing . They seem to see it as a path to unlimited riches.

Is this so ???

Course not.

He has 2 or 3 businesses on the go as well

I don’t know about unlimited riches but there’s plenty of jobs in the area in the midwest region, and it seems to be viewed as a kinda handy number. Whether that is true, I have no idea.