FAO of @Babs Keating

It was.

Even that drawn game v Limrick in Thurles was a great occasion. The silence in the ground when Cummins was dropped. Tipp played some fantastic hurling that night and it wasn’t Babs fault the umpire was blind.

The 2006 Munster final was probably the last really great championship day in Thurles too.

1 Like

The noughties was great craic following Tipp

1 Like

He got terrible stick after an interview he gave on RTE the day before Waterford bate them.in the 2002 Munster final. He reckoned that “Waterford fans would be heading out the gate with 10/15 minutes left” He got a lot of grief for it

I was convinced we’d win the All Ireland after a valiant second half comeback brought some respectability against Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh 2005.

Babs and the 1980s early 1990s squad had some craic together on holidays I d say!

Babs said last night himself and Richie Stakeleum drove down together to Tipp the night before to Bobby Ryan’s mothers funeral and they had a great old chat on the journey

Jesus for a while I thought Tipp would never beat Cork again. How times have changed

puck outs was the reason yeah? Big call and same club!

Yea Cummins hit a few straight out over the sideline in the drawn game.

It was a comedy gold at the time, when Babs used be brought on Tipp Fm every Monday morning defending his decisions. The time he called Tom Ryan ‘an arsehole’ was hilarious.

‘The day Tipperary start looking to Tom Ryan for advice will be a sad day’ was an other great quote.

Tipp may have won a few All Irelands in the past few years but the joy has really gone from the inter county game.

Tipp he said if they get to Croke Park they’ll win it. Given his history of statements that’s a great comfort

1 Like

Only because of his Limerick ancestry.

1 Like

that was a lovely interview on OTB earlier
5 grandchildren, was at bobby ryan’s mother’s funeral yesterday - she was 96 - was at the man who ran kavanagh’s coaches last week - he died on the plane back from tenerife
seems a most decent man
he was at Frank’s retirement in cork- said the speech touched on all matters of the GAA - id say it was some oration

5 Likes

Between that, donkies and derbies and sheeps in heaps, he had a habit of swinging big and missing.

1 Like

The place was heaving.

He has a great mixture of arrogance and ignorance.

Interesting he’s moved to Kildare Town in recent months.

Out on the Curragh gallops with a son in law like Johnny Murtagh must be a grand way to spend retirement.

I doubt Babs is up on a horse mate

he was horrified that a wexford selector would bring in a dry ball for every free…

1 Like

I love the way he got the reference to the three All Ireland medals in.

1 Like

i heard that too

Having a dodgy shoulder now because he played in 12 All Ireland finals back in the day :clap: