FAO of Garlic Growers

I would advise planting your garlic bulbs this weekend.

That is all.

Thanks mate. I will be doing just that. I have to laugh when I see mugs buying garlic in Tesco when they could easily grow their own.

Thanks mate. I will be doing just that. I have to laugh when I see mugs buying garlic in Tesco when they could easily grow their own.

I would recommend buying proper hard neck garlic sets from your local garden centre.
You could use regular cloves that you buy in the supermarket, but these can produce inconsistent results.

Further to my horticultural post on another thread I am interested in growing my own garlic this year. Do you just break off cloves and put them in the ground or what? How far down and how far apart should they be?

Ya, just plant each individual clove about 3" and down and 4/5" apart.
If you are doing rows then keep about 1.5 ft between them.

It should grow pretty much anywhere as long as the site gets plenty of sun and isn’t too wet.

Runts Top Garlic Tip:

If you plan on growing carrots later in the year then it is a good idea to sow a couple of rows of garlic in the carrot bed.
Garlic acts as a natural deterrent to the dreaded carrot fly.

Also apologies for the unnecessary “of” in the title.

A carrot fly? That must be one weird looking fly.

yes. same way a house fly looks like a house.

Ah yeah I’ve seen loads of them. It’s funny when you get up close and you can see people looking out the windows and waving at you.

1 Like

:lol: :clap:

“FAO of Garlic Growers.”

:rolleyes:

I haven’t even read this thread.

Unreal stuff for thinning and cleansing the blood. Pity about the fcuking stench though.

You utter prick of a man.
If you’d read the thread you’d have seen this was addressed.

The meaning of TASE’s famous abbreviation, GGA, has finally been revealed - TFK Garlic Growers Association

Any of your world famous garlic up for sale?

It will be next July

This, gentlemen, is the thread I’ve been waiting for on TFK and I would like to apply for membership of the TFK GGA forthwith.

As you know, the seasons here in Australia are the opposite of the Northern Hemisphere and therefore I lifted my Garlic about 2 weeks ago, having planted cloves in March. I now have about 4kgs dryng out on chicken wire under shade. There is nothing to beat it and as SS says, it is laughable to see people buying cheap Chinese imitations down the supermarket, when they are so easy to grow.

Runt’s instructions regarding depth and space above are pretty much spot on, though I would plant them a bit closer. As with all root crops, good, friable soil is necessary, well drained with planty of compost and well rotted manure forked in (and a few weeks before planting). I find a decent few handfuls of blood and bone makes a difference to size also. Make sure you plant certified, organic sets from a good garden centre (the Arboretum in Thomastown) - do not plant the supermarket bought muck, it won’t germinate.

Lift them when the stalks turn yellow and then dry out in a well ventilated, cool (very important, not indoors, they’ll go soft), shaded area for 1-2 months. You’ll be rewarded with exceptional garlic that will be the envy of your friends, colleagues and neighbours at dinner parties and soirees up and down the country. I personally have a long list of people who want my garlic, but apart from 2 of them, they can all fuck off and gow their own.

Having been in Ireland in October, I’m a bit late planting the summer crops in the garden. The Tomato seedlings (2 varieties) will be planted this weekend along with the Eggplant (Aubergine) and Capsicum (Peppers) seedlings. The carrots, lettuce (3 variieties), celery, beetroot, zucchini (2 varieties), cucumber (2 varieties), sweetcorn and pumpkin (2 varieties) have all germinated and their seedlings are powering ahead. The beans (4 varieties) will go in this weekend also (bit late, but we’ve had a lot of rain, have to plant them now and hope there’s no rain for a few days after). The 5 colour silverbeet planted months ago continues to provide along with some older lettuce. Naturally the herbs (parsley, basil, rosemary, thyme, sage) are all flying along in their pots. The fruit trees didn’t do great this year, but they’re not fully established, so I’m expecting good crops of Lemon, mandarin, blueberries and blacberries next year.

I started all this about 4 years ago and now have a 5 bed (raised beds using recycled materials, its amazing how much timber and bricks people throw out) rotation system with compost bins and a worm farm
Hard work at the start, but getting easier now, you can get very obsessive about this.

Someone needs to get Turfcutter onto this thread, he knows the score.

great to see the capsicum getting planted. :clap:

I was a forced amateur gardener in my younger days. Dont particularly miss those days. Didnt mind the spuds so much but weeding carrots used be a cunt not to mention the maintenance a particular red berry used involve. Must let the auld lad know about the planting garlic amongst the carrots trick. How does ginger grow by the way - I love it in the chicken stir fries.

My houseguest is on about planting herbs out on the balcony - now getting manure from the Thomastown aboretum isnt an option - what can be done?

Also where the fuck do you get blood and bone for your gardening exploits :lol:

Er, you buy blood and bone from the garden centre, or in your case, Bunnings, where you will also find suitable potting mix for the herbs on the balcony. Just don’t buy the cheap stuff, get good quality mix, it’ll be about $12 for a 25 litre bag. Water every day and leave in as much sun as possible.

(I should be charging for this advice)

Er, you buy blood and bone from the garden centre, or in your case, Bunnings, where you will also find suitable potting mix for the herbs on the balcony. Just don’t buy the cheap stuff, get good quality mix, it’ll be about $12 for a 25 litre bag. Water every day and leave in as much sun as possible.

(I should be charging for this advice)