FAO of Garlic Growers

The lawn at home is destroyed with weeds, what’s the best thing to use to get rid of these without killing the grass?

A goat.

Ignore all pesticides and weedkillers, best thing is to set the mower blade level high, ans just cut the tops off the grass. This encourages it to grow stronger and knock out the weeds. This might be a bit impractical in Irelend where the grass actualy grows like mad in summer, but here in Aus its whats works for me.

Many thanks Fitzy

Just using the first clove of this years crop with my lamb. Different class, different class.

Hard to beat the taste of your own farm produce.

Have a bit of lamb marinating away here at the minute too. Will throw it on the barbecue for a change this evening.

This week I have been harvesting:
Plums - hundreds of them
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Have two chili peppers growing slowly on a plant which I grew from seed from supermarket chilis
Apples are almost ripe and my beetroot, carrots and French beans are doing nicely but I have had problems with slugs destroying most of the iceberg lettuce. What’s the best way to get rid of these fat, slimy horrors?

nonsense- some amateur growing substabdard garlic in the shiity soil of the west of Ireland cant compete fresh organic garlic from the dordogne grown by world renowned experts flown straight into fingal

I was referring to the lamb but you knew that right?

i wouldnt know my garlics.

Outsandming work gentlemen. I am about 3 months away from harvesting my own garlic. Sid, best thing for the slugs is placing coffee grinds arund the base of the plant, they hate it. The most effective thing though is to get out there with a torch in the darkness and pick them off. Iceberg lettuce is crap BTW, you should be growing Cos Lettuce, much better.

Eating the first of this years Broad Beans myself this evening.

Anyone who eats imported fumigated and pesticide ridden garlic despite having the ability to purchase noble locally grown, organic garlic clearly knows nothing about food and must be a townie skanger who normally dines in his local KFC. Not to mention the wasteful and environmentally unconcionable air miles involved.

idiot- the oirish are shit at farming so why settle for 2nd best.also i think you have just lost the rural vote on here with your damning critique of exporting Irish farm produce

I started lifting the first of this years garlic crop yesterday, its truly outstanding stuff, delicious. Its $50-$60 / kg in the shops.

The tomato seedlings went in yesterday, have them covered up with a shade cloth set up, necessary as its very hot here now. Just waiting on the eggplant and capsicum seedlings now to plant out and that’ll be the whole summer vegetable / fruit collection sorted.

Bought an olive tree over winter and its started producing already, just have to figure out the best way to use them.

One thing I’d definitely recommend to the carnivores here is to grow your own Sage - pummel it up in a pestle and mortar, mix with butter, freeze and you have sage butter ready for your next steak. Tremendous altogether.

:clap:

I made a huge vat of vegtable soup at the weekend, all ingredients fresh from the garden, garlic, celery, parsnips, carrots, spuds and onions. Savage stuff, only problem is I forgot to bring it for my lunch today.

:clap: :clap: Thats outstanding Runt, you couldn’t eat better food. I have awful trouble growing parsnips here, I love parsnips, particuarly mashed with carrots.

We had a bolognese last week that Mrs Fitzy made with a sauce she made from last years tomatoes, it was wonderful.

With spring arriving boys, have you all been busy planting?

I’m at the arse end of the summer stuff, mostly good, the tomatoes were a disaster this year due to huge rain at the wrong time, but I have high hopes for the eggplant and capsicums just ripening now.

I’m in the middle of planting the winter stuff, but won’t be doing any brassicas this year, I find they are too much effort for little return in the home garden, so have given more space to garlic, snow peas, peas and root crops.

I’m doing a whole 2m x 2m bed of garlic this year.

Ok folks, I wouldn’t be leaving it much longer to get that garlic into the ground.

Hows the spring vegetable planting going boys? @TheRunt - when will the garlic be lifted?

[quote=“The Runt, post: 533219, member: 181”]Runts Top Garlic Tip:

If you plan on growing carrots later in the year then it is a good idea to sow a couple of rows of garlic in the carrot bed.
Garlic acts as a natural deterrent to the dreaded carrot fly.

Also apologies for the unnecessary “of” in the title.[/quote]

FAO of glasagusban

Bump