FAO of The Wild Colonial Bhoy, Il Bomber Destro, other forum Italians and any Italian experts

Which of Italy’s 20 regions would you recommend for an early summer holiday for circa 1-week duration and why?

Amalfi Coast mate. A day in Napoli and then a few days around Amalfi/Atrani. Perfect.

Which of the 20 regions is that in, mate?

Salerno mate.

Depends what you want pal, Lake Garda is absolutely beautiful and well within travelling distance to towns like Venice and Verona which there are plenty to do and see. Make sure if you are anywhere near Venice get yourself to Padova and see the Scrovegni Chapel. I think you may need to make a booking for this. I was at a wedding in Verona back a few years ago and luckily for us one of the party had booked a trip for us all to see the Scrovegni Chapel, what a pleasure that was.

Lake Garda itself is very tranquil, there is not much of a nightlife if that’s what you are after and the weather can be quite cool and breezy with rain, however when I visited there it was in mid-May and I would think good weather is much more likely round late June/July time.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 921996, member: 2533”]Depends what you want pal, Lake Garda is absolutely beautiful and well within travelling distance to towns like Venice and Verona which there are plenty to do and see. Make sure if you are anywhere near Venice get yourself to Padova and see the Scrovegni Chapel. I think you may need to make a booking for this. I was at a wedding in Verona back a few years ago and luckily for us one of the party had booked a trip for us all to see the Scrovegni Chapel, what a pleasure that was.

Lake Garda itself is very tranquil, there is not much of a nightlife if that’s what you are after and the weather can be quite cool and breezy with rain, however when I visited there it was in mid-May and I would think good weather is much more likely round late June/July time.[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on Toscano/Toscana and places like Pisa, Firenze, Livorno and potential ferry from the latter to Sardinia or Corsica?

I highly recommend the Island of Capri and Campania region, mate

It all depends on what you want pal, whether you want to be in a vibrant urban atmosphere with the beautiful architecture and culture or whether you want to be out in our rich green countryside and taking in some of the breathtaking scenery it has to offer. Personally, I think the greatest thing Italy has to offer to tourists is our wonderful friendly and warm natives. I would’t be venturing any further south than Rome to be honest.

Tuscany is lovely. I would also say one week is not enough in Italy, you need a minimum of two.

Both Sicily and Sardinia are fantastic spots. Would be ideal if you could hire a car, not sure if that’s a goer for you.

Sicily - Fly to Catania and travel south to Syracuse and Noto.

Sardinia - Fly to Alghero which is a great spot, beaches, nice town with restaurants etc. or you can travel north to Stintino and Castlesardo which are amazing spots.

Cinque Terre near Genoa is also supposed to be very nice

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 922004, member: 110”]Both Sicily and Sardinia are fantastic spots. Would be ideal if you could hire a car, not sure if that’s a goer for you.

Sicily - Fly to Catania and travel south to Syracuse and Noto.

Sardinia - Fly to Alghero which is a great spot, beaches, nice town with restaurants etc. or you can travel north to Stintino and Castlesardo which are amazing spots.

Cinque Terre near Genoa is also supposed to be very nice[/QUOTE]
The man can’t drive Fran-no need to keep throwing it back in his face.

Sardinia is the only spot for a top, top international financier. Known as the holiday island of the rich and beautiful of Italy(Berlusconi has his holiday residence here), it has everything that the person you aspire to be would want. Amazing beaches, food and wine.

[QUOTE=“Fran, post: 922004, member: 110”]
Cinque Terre near Genoa is also supposed to be very nice[/QUOTE]

It is a lovely area. Train travels to the five villages. Levanto and Bonassola nice spots also. Lovely cliff walk along the via del l’amore between Riomaggiore and Manarola.
Don’t know much about the nightlife there though.
@Bandage the region is Liguria, district is La Spezia.

Lake Como is nice also, a bit quieter than Lake Garda though.

Venice is a must see at some stage of your life. But you’d probably get all the main stuff seen in a day if you had to. Plenty extra stuff to do too though if you want to stay longer

The region is Campania. Salerno is second city, after Naples.

Great shout though, and I’ll second it. The Amalfi Coast is simply stunning, as is it’s neighbouring Sorrento Coast. Hire a car and drive around them. You’ll thank me :slight_smile:

Naples is amazing too, a little dirty in places but don’t let that out you off. The people are dead on. It’s the home of pizza and spaghetti. I had the best pizza of my life there, a massive 16" for only €4. No other pizza came near to it. Some amazing squares and architecture to see. Naples is a real, more gritty type of city than the likes of Milan or Florence. Also a lot more friendlier.

Check out Vesuvius too, it’s still active and well over-due another eruption! The stunning views all along The Bay of Naples shouldn’t be missed.

whatever happens mate, make sure you go down the agriturrismo route

dont go in August either

Update: Going to Tuscany via Rome first up. The hope when booking was that I’d be in the eternal city the weekend we defeated Juve to blow the title race wide open but it’s not to be.

Heading onwards to Florence on a fast train and intend to stay there for a couple of nights. Itinerary is then open until return flight from Pisa so have 5 or 6 days to fill in and plan to book things as we go along.

One day will likely be in Pisa itself before coming home but various people have recommended nearby towns like Lucca. Others say Siena is a must visit with some wine tasting in the Chianti region. Any other Tuscany specific recommendations?

Don’t get burnt there.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 941870, member: 9”]Update: Going to Tuscany via Rome first up. The hope when booking was that I’d be in the eternal city the weekend we defeated Juve to blow the title race wide open but it’s not to be.

Heading onwards to Florence on a fast train and intend to stay there for a couple of nights. Itinerary is then open until return flight from Pisa so have 5 or 6 days to fill in and plan to book things as we go along.

One day will likely be in Pisa itself before coming home but various people have recommended nearby towns like Lucca. Others say Siena is a must visit with some wine tasting in the Chianti region. Any other Tuscany specific recommendations?[/QUOTE]
Siena is nicer than Pisa. Pisa is just the tower.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 941870, member: 9”]Update: Going to Tuscany via Rome first up. The hope when booking was that I’d be in the eternal city the weekend we defeated Juve to blow the title race wide open but it’s not to be.

One day will likely be in Pisa itself before coming home but various people have recommended nearby towns like Lucca. Others say Siena is a must visit with some wine tasting in the Chianti region. Any other Tuscany specific recommendations?[/QUOTE]
This new Man Friend is a very lucky guy.

Be helpful or be funny, please.