So I gave the walls a talking.
And I heard the sounds of long ago,
From the old canal.
And the birds were whistling in the trees,
Where the wind was gently laughing.

Poetry.

2 Likes

So true…

I was at that gig. A close friend of mine, whom I did not know at the time, met his wife at that gig.

That gig was truly extraordinary.

1 Like

‘A Rainy Night In Soho’ is possibly the greatest song ever by anyone.

Next, for me, is ‘The Broad Majestic Shannon’.

There is so much… The Pogues are a gift from the gods.

4 Likes

The Pogues Bridge Hotel gig is fast becoming the TFK equivalent of the GPO in 1916.

10 Likes

Munster vs the all blacks

Will we get a pension?

1 Like

Rainy Night in Soho is indeed a tremendous song and is rightly regarded as a classic. However there is one line in it that really grates everytime I hear it

Now, the song is nearly over
We may never find out what it means
But there’s a light I hold before me
And you’re the measure of my dreams, the measure of my dreams

It’s like a line a lad would make up at a singsong when he can’t remember the real words.

I saw them three times.

Twice in RDS, once in the Olympia.

First RDS gig I was at was one of my most favourite by anyone. MacGowan was in very good form and I really got into it by pushing and shoving others up towards the front.

Second and third weren’t as good as Shane was way out of kilter. In the Olympia someone chucked a plastic cup towards the stage at the very start, Shane didn’t notice, missed his timing to start singing, realised and lunged at the mic, missed it and lunged again this time connecting.

1 Like

I’d say you’re half right, they played Kennedy’s of Puckane Xmas '85, what a night maybe 250 odd at it, Elvis sang a song just before kick off. Shane’s mam was Lynch from Carney Commons, outside Puckane, Kildangan parish. Best I ever saw them, though was very high on emotion and porter. Saw them a lot over the next few years, SFX Dublin twice I’d say, Glastonbury on the Friday '86, Shinrone gig too which I’d say was Summer '88, maybe '87. Last time I saw them was Xmas in their annual get together at the RDS, maybe 2001/02? They were a force of nature live, fronted by one of the GOAT, in terms of both songwriting and frontmen

1 Like

They’ve recently corrected their 20 or 30 year misspelling of the Parish to Kiladangan.
Kildangan is just someplace in Kildare now.

1 Like

Still looking for their first Dan Breen though, the cunts

2 Likes

It’s deliberate as the song is presumed to be about a woman when in fact it’s an ode to whiskey. Ginger lady by my bed and the measure of my dreams. It’s quite genius actually

3 Likes

I think it means that his life is coming to an end, or their life together. It’s a beautiful and sad line.

1 Like

I think that’s a side issue. I think the song is an ode to love. The ginger lady is certainly a whiskey reference. Often you’d feel at your most emotional and most vulnerable after a night’s drinking. Drink and a muse are not mutually exclusive.
You are such a cynic.

2 Likes

Saw the Pogues at the Olympia…actually I saw two songs before having to leave due to @Funtime losing a shoe, getting thrown out and getting arrested along with @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

Had to witness @thedancingbaby gorge on a McDonalds as well.

Awful night. We still don’t know who threw the brick through the Olympia window…

3 Likes

Ha!

I worship MacGowan and that grates on me as well.

Up there with ‘they’ve got cars big as bars’.

1 Like