Financial advice

Where did you land on this? I had a look at bonkers from the link @Copper_pipe put up and it seems to be about 6% give it take across the board.

Also this, can you explain what’s going on here? If a dealership offers you a car on finance you’re saying contact that finance company directly is it?

Don’t ever use on site Finance. You’ll be paying over the odds to feather the dealers nest.

1 Like

Is VW finance not the exception? I’m not well up on this but seemingly there is a big difference between the VW bank and others, they will offer much lower interest on proper finance than anyone else

like anything watch all of the variables, a lower % rate could be gobbled by a fixed or non negotiable price

1 Like

On PCP deals.

Never sign the paperwork for finance in the dealership without shopping about first.

PCP is robbery anyway, you’d want to be some mug to buy on that

And Finance it too :face_vomiting:

This seems the opposite of true depending on the dealer. Some dealerships have finance backed by the manufacturer and have rates way cheaper than what’s available on the open market. Eg Peugeot offering finance at 5%.

Bonkers suggest the best market rate is 6+.

But, it also seems that 6% is going for 20k plus. Less than that is offering me rates of 8%+.

8% seems fucking bananas. @Julio_Geordio or some other financial type could you sort this out for me please.

Who is charging you 8%?

An post, aib, credit union.

Would it be possible to just take a bigger loan for the better rate on a variable basis and just pay back the extra straight up?

You’ll get cheaper than that anyway. Civil service credit union is offering 6.9% from a quick google. All CU’s offer different rates, in Dublin you are probably in the catchment area for 4 or 5 of them shop around.

Car finance from a dealer is two very different things. There is car finance from say Audi where they finance the car themselves and might charge as low as 0% on it. Obviously here they make their money from the car sale. This is only new cars though.
They might also in the bigger dealerships offer finance on second hand cars at a reasonable rate. This is generally fine, check the rates, check it’s fixed, check for catches such as the price of the car being higher because it’s being financed etc.

The dangerous side of car finance, is more to do with second hand car dealers, where they’ll rip your face off with some sub prime lender, who’ll lend money to every bad credit risk going at a high enough rate that they can live with the high rates of default.

The problem with going through a “proper” dealership is you’ll pay the premium for that security even on a second hand car, so you probably won’t save anything on what you would have paid, and you won’t be able to get finance for a car off done deal or whatever.

As a general rule if the dealer is pushing you to take finance then you are getting mugged off

1 Like

Oh dear.

The blurb for most lenders seems to show offers somewhere just above 6%, but that seems to be for 20k+. Avant money loan calculator had 5.9 for 20k but 9.2% for 19k.

Pocket change to a man of your means sure

I don’t need to borrow that much, I’m too rich for my own good. My gold plated civil service terms and conditions are weighing me down.

2 Likes

Tis a wander you need to borrow anything at all sure. Too many avocados

I got sick of spending money repairing the hape of shite car I had so went PCP on a new car. Shopped around for scrappage on the shitcan, quite the difference even amongst dealers of the same make. Great comfort in having a car that works. Due to multiple financial holes that need topping up there was no other way of affording a new car.

1 Like