Football betting season 2011/2012

Real look a nice price at 6/4 to beat Barca at home in the first leg of the Spanish super cup tomorrow night. Barca without Busquets and Messi not expected to start as he is only back in trainig after the copa america while Mourinho will be looking to lay down a marker for the season ahead

Lunacy, i hope its a 1 euro type bet you did.

because if he does win he thinks he’ll get some online kudos here(sad i know). If he doesn’t win he won’t lose any money and the abuse he gets here won’t be as bad for his ego as when he actually loses loads of money.

I have to laugh at guys who are failing miserably in one sport on the betting front jumping over to another to fill the bookies pockets fully. The bookies have really lulled alot of people into betting with all these alternative bets. I was taken in myself for a while, but the vast majority of it is a fools game. Betting straight on games really is the best approach. Or some long term punts can be good, and in fairness, the bets on Rooney and Blackburn there are good long term bets.

I haven’t checked the EPL scores yet but the only bet I would have done today was Arsenal to win at 11/10. Actually think that’s the late game so might get stuck in now. They always start seasons well and it’s later on that the children get tired or bottle it because their manager laughably refuses to sign or hold onto suitably experienced players.

€2.50 on the accumulator Kevin and €5 each on the scorers.

Ah, ya, not too bad i suppose. In fairness KIB gave good advice recently about betting early and late in the season, its a bit of a minefield.

I’m waiting for things to settle down a bit anyway. Having been burnt by Arsenal a few times i tend to stay away from them.

are you two actually a little mental? Kev giving betting advice just to top off amateur pyschology hour, fucking hell :lol:

as my last seasons successful EPL tipping thread proved, you can win betting straight on games but long term over a season you wont be up by much really. As much as you can be an expert on EPL games, there isnt really too much unknows to it. It isnt like GAA in that sense where local knowledge can often be key and the bookies rarely enough make consistent mistakes price wise on games. Of course for punters like Kev who dont believe in value betting its immaterial. In saying that, Man Utd should be a good thing for a lot of -1 bets this season but Id definitely wait for 4-6 weeks to pass first.

In my experience over the last two seasons, there is real money to be made in the relegation market. Prices sway wildly and there can be a lot of value to be had at back to lay. The market is set up for it really and can badly overreact for teams on a bad run, Wolves went on a bad losing run last season at about the midway stage but they were playing a lot of the better teams. Also teams at the lower end of the EPL have about 5 decent players each if any of these are injured for any significant period of time, it can weaken them hugely. Bham with Dann last season. What makes the market even better is that teams coming up have never had a better chance of staying up, the last joke team were Derby and the market was very friendly for about 2 seasons after. Think Stoke were 1/2 to go down when they came up and publicity powers paid up on them going down after a few games.

The market for winning the league should be kept an eye on but not as much. Only 3 contenders - United, Chelsea and City. Chelsea last season of course went on a great run early on, beating very little and quickly went shorter than 1/2 to win the league. With an aging side that was a gift to lay off and so it proved. Chelsea do tempt me at 3/1 I must say but Id want to see Modric joining first before investing. I’ll be watching City closely too as I think they have a fine side but the trio of Dzeko, Balotelli and Aguero will need to step up quickly. If they start scoring early no reason why they cant make a real fight of it. United seem very strong but Ive never been convinced by the Da Silva brothers. Will Ferdinand stay injury free? Midfield seems very lightweight and the key question mark is how quickly will De Gea settle? A few more mistakes from him early on and they will be in trouble I feel. The links to Sneijder are bizarre and Id question tactically what Fergie is up to.

Top scorer is a great market. Henry was a few years back 5/2 to be topscorer. Torres too was very short in his second season. Rooney for me looks hugely overpriced at 9.2 in what is likely to be a very attacking line up. He has combined well with Young for England and Valencia whom he has a great understanding with is back properly from injury. Van Persie if he stays injury free is surely good for 20 league goals. Some great value to be had there.

That’s all well and good if you’re not betting to enjoy it but that’s not the way with most people. If your standard bet is say €10 then there’s fuck all enjoyment (and fuck all return) from tying that up for 9 months on the prospect of some team getting relegated. And if the strategy involves laying off the bet when the odds shift - again that’s prudent but it’s pretty worthless when betting small stakes.

I don’t subscribe to the idea that you shouldn’t bet in the first few weeks. I had 3 from 4 last weekend and only 1 from 3 yesterday but the one that came up was 5/2 so I’m still sound overall. There may not be much form to go on but that’s as much an obstacle for the bookies as it is for punters. I don’t think anyone is naive enough to think they have a “local” or knowledge advantage over the bookies. Doesn’t mean you can’t exploit prices that you believe are generous.

Looking at the fixture list backing Bolton to be relegated to lay them later looks like a good idea.
Bolton v Man City
Liverpool v Bolton
Bolton v Man Utd
Bolton v Norwich
Arsenal v Bolton
Bolton v Chelsea

Nasty run.

Barcelona are at 3.25 tonight. :o

Who’s missing for them? Puyol and Xavi missed Spain’s friendly in midweek. Still great odds on them regardless, I think I will be backing them should I get a return on Chelsea and United.

Busquets is out and Messi may not start, if he does he won’t play more than an hour.

Oh dear.

:lol:

[quote=“KIB man, post: 614566”]

are you two actually a little mental?[/quote]

I was referring to your made up Lita bet pal. Are you a little mental or what?

Why would you say it is made up? You are aware of how Betfair works I take it?

Lita joined EPL side Swansea 2 weeks ago but I’m sure you’ll be able to cover off why backing him yesterday to be Championship top scorer was a wise move.

made up or wise? your line of questioning has changed somewhat. maybe its because you started off talking through your hole and now your brain has begun to function

Are you mental or what?

Over 2.5 goals between Arsenal and Udinese @ 1.99 on Betfair.

Udinese are 7/1 to win tonight. I know it’s unlikely but the Arse are missing Rosicky, Nasri, Wilshere and Van Persie and are brittle of heart. They also looked shit against Newcastle the last day. If the whole castle is to come tumbling down then tonight is an opportune time for it to begin.

I had a bad weekend on my football bets though…

It’s a big price for Udinese alright. Arsenal aren’t missing Rosicky though.