Football Trivia

Wayne Rooney

Rooney won both with united

Different clubs .

Juan mata Chelsea and man united

He did.

Wark didnā€™t make the match day squad of 16 for the 1984 final in Rome.

1 Like

Iā€™m confused

Did Larry Lloyd win a UEFA with Liverpool and a European Cup with Forest?

1 Like

Larry Lloyd is correct. UEFA Cup with Liverpool in 1973 and European Cup with Nottingham Forest in 1979 & 80.

Juan Mata correct as well.

Thereā€™s a fifth player as well. By far the trickiest.

What decade ?

He won the second of the medals in the 70ā€™s.

Without looking at the posts subsequent to your one, Iā€™d be 99.9% sure Larry Lloyd is one. Liverpool UEFA Cup in '73 and Forest European Cup in '79 and '80. Edit: oh, darn, somebody got there before me.

Mad stab in the dark, did Souness pick up a medal for spurs

1 Like

Geoff, with regard to these two, there are problems with both. Clemence didnā€™t play in either leg of the final - Tony Parks was the goalkeeper for both legs and famously proved the hero in the shoot out at White Hart Lane. Clemence may well have got a medal which would make it technically correct but I feel the spirit, if not the letter of the question has been violated by allowing him.

As regards Kennedy, he won an Inter-Cities Fairs Cup medal rather than a UEFA Cup medal with Arsenal.

1 Like

Frank Clark

Clemence unlike John Wark in 1984 was part of the match day squad of 16 for the final so got a medal. Jimmy Rimmer precedent. You included Jimmy Rimmer as one of your two players who won European Cup medals with two different clubs even though he didnā€™t see any action in 1968.

Well clamped rating.

Rimmer me.

Iā€™m still right as regards Kennedy however.

It began as an inter city tournament in 1958. A London XI got to the first final with most of the London clubs represented. Tottenhamā€™s win in 1972 may in some quarters be the first reference to UEFA Cup but individual clubs and not inter-city algamations were competing in their own right for a number of years before that as evidenced by Woolwich winning it in 1970.

To differentiate is akin to saying that the European Cup 1956-92 was a different tournament to the ā€˜Champions Leagueā€™ from 1993 onwards.

UEFA differentiate between the Fairs Cup and the UEFA Cup. Theyā€™re different tournaments. You asked for UEFA Cup winners. Itā€™s similar to how Newton Heath was the predecessor of Manchester United, but they were separate clubs.

The European Cup was rebranded as the Champions League and is considered the same tournament. Thatā€™s like Woolwich Arsenal becoming Arsenal when they moved to Highbury. Different location and a rebranding, but still the same club.

Thereā€™s a subtle difference there, but it makes all the difference.

The Frank Clark answer I gave would be correct if youā€™re counting Fairs Cups, but he hasnā€™t won a UEFA Cup, so reluctantly Iā€™ll have to accept that the answer I gave was incorrect.

excellent point regarding sunlight
that 89 cup final there was no shadows at all on the pitch at KO, players cramping up with socks rolled down as extra time started, the turf was meant be very energy sapping also
that a really great point sidney and the more i go thru all the cup finals in my head from 1988 to the present day .
was 2000 the first 5pm KO with Villa Chelsea?