Footix of the Day

May I ask you a footixy question pal?

Yanited should focus on getting the magic forty points

I add value to every thread I post on.

Go ahead

1 Like

While US sports probably place too much emphasis on statistics, do you think association football leagues place too little emphasis on ease or difficulty in schedule in relation to standings?

Negative is a value too i suppose

1 Like

I’d agree that there is little importance given to scheduling when analysing league standings, but you are forgetting that much coverage of the EPL is content, clickbait and narrative driven, and long, The Athletic style theses on fixture scheduling is unlikely to command the attention of low brow, Mick Footix types, who would be more interested in tales of dressing room banter or who is the best singer in the squad or other such nonsense.

2 Likes

Iron sharpens iron, PSG had probably the easiest schedule of any team and two of the top forwards in the game and got nowhere. The great Madrid teams, Barca, this City team and the Liverpool team just gone all thrived on the heavy schedule. Its an excuse I’d say.

Liverpool have won one league in about 30 years mate, not a great team

2 Likes

Oh we all strive to be as humorous and insightful as you.

They haven’t won enough true

I think you’ve picked me up wrong.

I’m referring to domestic league schedule only. As in “X are top of the league for the first time in 23 years” or something. Yeah, but they may have played a load of diddy teams at home so far. In the US, you’d have some gimp after developing a statistical formula to derive standings adjusted for strength of teams played.

1 Like

Oh right, in terms of the winner, I’d say City could play the thing in any order they have that much in hand.

Big factor to success in modern EPL seems to be the elite squad building that lets you play that inverted fullbacks system (3-2 build up) that seems to just choke the shit out of the opposition like Pep has and Arteta and Klopp are trying to.

Spurs doing it right now here. Vicario, Udogie, Van Der Ven, Maddison and integrating Bissouma (out tonight) has changed their system to this. Only thing is, saw City v Arsenal other week and they basically cancelled each other out, bit boring.

1 Like

Saw the Spurs game tonight from 10 minutes in to half time & it was lovely to watch. A slight bit more fluidity & freedom within Postecoglou’s template perhaps than some other teams whose movements are ultra choreographed & scripted. Don’t get me wrong, Spurs are similar & a lot of repetition & fine tuning would go into that set up. I like how Maddison either comes very deep or goes wide left at times to receive the ball in space - he reminded me of an English Reo Hatate tonight. I don’t think it’s a question of if Spurs will win the league now, it’s by how much. Big Ange taking a squad built for 3/5 at the back & manipulating it mostly via players already there & a clutch of astute signings to his 4-3-3 with inverted full backs has been an outstanding management feat. If he can get a tune out of lads like Lo Celso & the returning Bentancur they’ll be laughing.

As an aside, I mentioned on another thread a while back how pointless it was for Spock to expect significantly lower quality players to be able to do this in the limited training sessions international windows allow for.

3 Likes

Is that Neil McGee halfway through the clip?

1 Like

Think it is alright.

3 Likes

FuckTipp will have to go.

6 Likes

In fairness, they look for special characters all the time these days.

FuckT!p7

1 Like