France v Portugal - European Nations Cup Final 2016

Getting in early as I’m sick of the gimpy terminology used for round threads up to now.

The two countries have produced a couple of classics when they’ve met in the past.

The 1984 semi-final is probably the greatest European Championship match of all-time while the 2000 semi-final was also memorable. Platini and Zidane were in their respective pomps in those games and ultimately proved the difference. John Motson was in his pomp too in the 1984 game.

1984:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfcl3UGIr78

2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYTBZnqI-9Q

Predicted a Portugal win over France in the final in a work buster thing so I’m all for the Portuguese to win :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Awful thread title

1 Like

This will be known in years to come as the Ronaldo Final

Terrible thread title

@rocko can we dungeon this thread before it gains any traction?

Is this on at the RDS ?

1 Like

A proud night for our domestic football as Mark Clattenburg referees the showpiece final.

Europe’s biggest match will be played under the rules of British justice.

Big night for John Giles as he analyses his final match for RTE ahead of his passing next May.

1 Like

FAO of @Sidney

EURO 2016 - Round of 2

What memories there.

Irish football fans like me were true heroes, heroes of freedom.

There’s always one ignorant cunt who sets up a new thread on final night without checking whether there’s already one in place. Well done, @Fran. I’m seething. @Rocko, merge the threads.

@Rocko, just delete this thread please, thanks

2 Likes

Irish football fans have been backed into 2/1 for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I’ll humbly accept the award if I win it.

Only on this official thread can you view the team line ups in lovely graphics with a French caption to capture the real flavour of the occasion.

And we’re off on RTE

TV3 showing it too Fran. Can’t remember this ever happening before. I suppose tradition will make me watch RTE tonight.

M’ON on TV3, is he punditing or just an interview

I hope Portugal are annihilated tonight.

2 Likes

French onion soup
12345 (14 ratings)
By Sara Buenfeld Magazine subscription – 5 issues for £5
PREP: 15 MINS
COOK: 55 MINS
EASY SERVES 4
A deeply savoury soup to use up a garden glut, make sure you caramelise your onions so they’re really rich and tender

Nutrition: per serving
kcal

fat
27g

saturates
14g

carbs
59g

sugars
17g

fibre
9g

protein
26g

salt
2.6g
Save Print

Ingredients

50g butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1kg onion
, halved and thinly sliced
1 tsp sugar
4 garlic clove, thinly sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
250ml dry white wine
1.3l hot strongly-flavoured beef stock
4-8 slices French bread (depending on size)
140g Gruyère
, finely grated
Method

Melt the butter with the oil in a large heavy-based pan. Add the onions and fry with the lid on for 10 mins until soft. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook for 20 mins more, stirring frequently, until caramelised. The onions should be really golden, full of flavour and soft when pinched between your fingers. Take care towards the end to ensure that they don’t burn.
Add the garlic for the final few mins of the onions’ cooking time, then sprinkle in the flour and stir well. Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the wine, followed by the hot stock. Cover and simmer for 15-20 mins.
To serve, turn on the grill, and toast the bread. Ladle the soup into heatproof bowls. Put a slice or two of toast on top of the bowls of soup, and pile on the cheese. Grill until melted. Alternatively, you can complete the toasts under the grill, then serve them on top.