Friends

Globally for comedies, Iā€™d say yes. I think those three shows had as much, if not more, impact in the US.

Syndication of Seinfeld has always been better there.

I see the low IQ simpletons are back to relying on each other for moral support. Predictable as ever. :grin:

The usual crazy balls seething about the popularity of a TV show. A whole new generation love Friends and they never adopted Cheers nor Seinfeld.
:man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna say some stuff here lads and it wonā€™t be popular. Friends is brilliant. I didnā€™t like/watch it much at the time and it never floated my boat but I have watched some recently and it is always very good and regularly superb. It combines comedy genres brilliantly. It does slapstick fantastically and has sharp lines. Itā€™s structurally brilliant (pay pffs later in episode) and also plays lowest common denominator stuff like cheesy catchphrases etc but is also happy to take the piss out of these.
Friends stands the test of time very well. It is an incredibly popular show with 17/18 year olds. Its on netflix and they love it. It also survives half the characters being intolerable.
Lastly, David Schwimmer is a brilliant physical comedian. A horrible character but a brilliant comedy actor.
Sorry lads.

10 Likes

The first season was excellent.

After that it had some good character moments, Chandler became a dork but David Schwimmer shone as Ross.

There are nearly 250 episodes. Ten seasons. If it was shit after the first it would have died a lot quickerā€¦

I didnā€™t say it was bad, I just said the first was excellent. :slightly_smiling_face:

Superb up to the time they went to London and went downhill after that. The first three seasons are outstanding.

Iā€™m trapped in an ATM vestibule with Jill Goodacre.

1 Like

Never watched it. Load of bollix.

1 Like

And Girlymen

In saying that, the later seasons brought one of the best guest appearances Iā€™ve ever seen from Alec Baldwin.

What a fantastically well lit hallway!

3 Likes

Iā€™d ware it into Jennifer Anniston still.

2 Likes

The Super Bowl one was magnificent

I really liked a Friends, it was very well written.
But I absolutely couldnā€™t stand that Chandler cunt.

Say what you like but a young fella couldnā€™t ask for a better role model than Joey Tribbiani

1 Like
1 Like

Friends was a grand auld show, Iā€™m trying to think was it E4 that just played the entire series over and over again? -You could be sitting back at the college gaff at 1 in the afternoon, pondering whether your next move would be a can or a rollie, watching the finale of Friends and then youā€™d roll straight into the first episode. Great times.

My favourite clip

1 Like

Friends had its moments. Mainly the earlier years before it just turned into a soap opera.

Not a patch on the genius that was Seinfeld

1 Like

Itā€™s very very popular with young girls now, my 13 year old and her friends all love it, sounds about right

1 Like