Funeral etiquette

A grand aul yarn but Iā€™ve an inkling TNH

3 Likes

Twas only a yarn, he debunked it one day I think on the 2johnnies. Funny nonetheless

There isnā€™t. Iā€™d just never heard of the practice. It was the florist up north suggested it. Asked my mother and she hadnā€™t heard of it either.

TNH volume 9865

2 Likes

My third funeral in four weeks start of next week. My first civil funeral.

At the age now where people lose their parents with increasing regularity. The circle of life and all that. Weā€™re not here forever.

2 Likes

A friend of mine lost both in a month over the Christmas period. A fine age, but of course doesnt make it any easier. Something nice though about them both going so close, but difficult to suffer such in such a short period.

4 Likes

I attended a removal last night and it was the biggest Iā€™ve ever seen. Queued for over an hour outside on the street before making the door. The lad I know was first in line, a silent embrace, exchange of knowing nods and moved along.

I must have shaken hands with 40 people there after before the exit. Half of them sitting down.

A hard station no doubt, but if youā€™re going to present yourself to mourners as a family representative, stand up if you have two legs and look the people in the eye. I came away feeling sorry for the family because of these half committed hangers on.

2 Likes

Barring I know them well Iā€™ll generally leave a one sitting down. Of course a pass for those shook as fuck.

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed funerals are back in vogue in a big way the last 12 months. Theyā€™ve really bounced back after some very lack lustre affairs post covid.

3 Likes

If thereā€™s a massive family in a small funeral home there isnā€™t room for everyone to stand up

I bought a savage funeral jacket before Christmas one like an aul lad wears.

12 Likes

I wouldnt turn up to a funeral without one. Any lad in his 40s without one would raise question marks to me.

1 Like

Very practical especially in Irish winters and the hanging around, especially now at this age Ill get good use out of it

1 Like

A funeral coat surely, what kind of lepjack turns up in a jacket

2 Likes

Fair points. Although if there is room for a chair under you then thereā€™s room to stand in my book. If thereā€™s a group outside the immediate family that are to be included then divide them up into smaller numbers with an aunt or uncle and send them in for a short stint.

One if them offered me the left hand kind of upside down, without looking at me, and continued texting. I was irked on behalf of people I barely know.

3 Likes

You swung too early there

Youā€™d have been within your rights there to pull him out by the ear

1 Like

Would you have them standing for two hours in the middle of mourning? You mad yoke :grinning:

I wouldnā€™t, no.

1 Like

An odd stance, Are you angry that you werenā€™t asked to be part of the grieving part?