Funeral etiquette

Bizarre.

I don’t mind mourners sitting or standing once they shake hands & move the thing along promptly.

Nothing worse than a few aul cunts having full blown conversations holding up the queue.

Meet mourners after mass or the burial for the chats and keep the queue moving ffs

3 Likes

At larger funerals a good undertaker will very subtly intervene and keep things moving.

Granny, stand up befucked! If it’s not your knee replacement, it’s your arthritis. Present yourself properly & look @FatChops in the eye, he’s been queuing for nearly an hour.

12 Likes

maybe @FatChops would like a guard of honour upon his arrival?

3 Likes

Auld wans are allowed sit down.Immediate family especially should be standing,if you’re sitting down talking shit I generally don’t bother with you, you’re only a sub really and i breeze past and out the door.

1 Like

I’d say there’s some amount of lads on here who turn up at funerals they’ve no business at.

1 Like

You’d have to wonder about lads who turn up for a removal and leave annoyed, some actually ignoring some of the bereaved because they’re not making enough effort :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve instructed my childer to fire me into the sheugh in the far corner of the bottom meadow…unless I’m old, incapacitated, in a home etc, in which case they’re to wheel me up the cliff path in ballyliffin before carelessly letting go of the wheelchair. Let the tide take it from there

1 Like

Seething at the mourners is a new one alright

I turn on my heel if there isn’t a plate full of majors.

https://twitter.com/WhatWeWitnessed/status/1770015542868337146?t=8yARITCBwn6Ge_dQWyX98w&s=19

3 Likes

Generally at most funerals I have attended women don’t stand up it is the men of the family standing at either side of the coffin barring they are too old for a long stint standing

Some of the weaker lads here don’t want to have any form of decorum at a funeral though, certainly not if it means telling some goofy teenager to put the phone away (God forbid) and show a bit of respect. That’s where we are these days I suppose.

1 Like

Sure half of them have worn shorts to a removal/funeral and seen nothing wrong with it.

1 Like

I ask yuh.

A buddy of ours did this 15 years ago and still gets stick to this day about it

1 Like

3 Likes

:smile::smile:

18 Likes

Some great stories here. Was there for about 2 hours reading them. Eye opening really, really shows the west/east of the country divide in terms of tradition. Like in Wexford Town here we bring the body to the funeral home the day before, church at about 12 the next day and then off out to the graveyard in Crosstown. Noticing more and more funerals not going back to the pub though since the c19. My aunties funeral a few weeks back, the immediate family and friends went to a hotel, got dinner and went home. My mates funeral before Christmas, it seemed like the family was divided. One set went to the pub (very few in fact) and the other set went to the deceaseds house for sambo’s and tae.
The pub after any funeral was the best part of it. Actually celebrating the person’s life, exchanging stories, meeting lads you wouldn’t normally meet.

7 Likes

I know in urban areas gravedigging is done by the local authorities. But in rural areas it’s usually neighbours and friends of the deceased that get the ‘honour’. It’s a long couple of days if asked to dig a grave. Refreshments are provided during the excavation and the day of the burial is a heavy day too. The parish next to Ballinasloe on the Roscommon side though have an unusual tradition at the burial. While it’s most common for the grave diggers to cover over the grave after the coffin is lowered and adorn the cover with the wreaths while the prayers and rosary are said, in this parish the men, not necessarily the grave diggers, take turns to help close in the grave while the prayers are being said. The first time I saw it happen I found it very strange but it’s their tradition.

4 Likes