GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Course he will. They’ve been bullshitting on for years how he “deserves “ an all Ireland medal.

1 Like

Who are these more deserving players that you speak of? Tony Kelly seems to be held to a higher standard than everyone else. His contributions while carrying an injury during the Munster championship shouldn’t be underestimated.

1 Like

Kelly deserves one this year. There were in fairness a couple of years where it was a dodgy enough one but not this year

1 Like

I think conlon with the sleeve is more iconic than Downey and will get one, probably fairly. League and championship double.

Hoggy shouldn’t get one this year imho.

1 Like

He’ll take a handy one at midfield.

Surely no chance Hoggie gets one? If he does we may well sentence it to deletion

Agree. Hoggie did fuck all this year

2 Likes

I think Downey was better over the course of the season. Conlon had a phenomenal final but struggled at times earlier on. Ditto Kelly. A performance for the ages in the final but you can’t give a seasonal performance award based on one game. The lads on the hurling pod weren’t picking Kelly and they’re right. He got motm in the final, that’s the appropriate award.

Many fellas didn’t have Eoin Downey starting for cork come the all Ireland phase.

Dan Morrissey had a better year than him overall.

He’s one of the greats.

So was the hurler of the year picked by journalists or the players ?

Players vote on the 3. No idea who makes the nominations apart from joanne and marty

Both the Sunday world and gavin Cooney / Sinead o Carroll said it was a 12 man committee that picked it.

eh? look at the all ireland again, 2 points from play, a hand in several others and some clutch scores from frees

that goal from a peno against Limerick in Munster was a fair pressure in munster

do you remember his 2 goals v Clare in Munster?

the above is what I recall off the top of my head and it amounts to more than “fuck all”

Not an all star contender though but he had a good season

2 Likes

Same old story with Horgan. Some lads have made up their minds a few years ago that he’s passed it and it doesn’t matter how many times he stuffs it down their throats. They’ll be right eventually but they haven’t been yet.

2 Likes

Saying he did fuck all was glib on my part but he had a poor season by his standards and is in terminal decline as a player. If he manages to get possession he is still dangerous but he is struggling to win ball at this level at this stage in his career.

1 Like

He’s like Ronaldo. His output in terms of scoring will always be ok but does he make cork a better team overall? No. He’s so slow and just doesn’t work very hard. He probably can’t. He’s also started missing simple chances he’d never miss before.

It is why team selection is so difficult. It’s about creating the best team not just picking the best players. See Brazil 2006 World Cup v France or the England national team under SGE.

His free taking style is odd enough too with a very wild lift. Missed some important frees for them this year

Gas how a fucker who never kicked or pucked a ball out of his way knows so much better than the coaches who’ve spent their lives obsessed and immersed in the games :joy::joy: