GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Nor should they get 15. Hegarty wasnt near as good as last year. Dont think Darragh ODonovan will make it . Despite having a good year Dan Morrisey didn’t start in all games so that probably rules him out. Gillane may well lose out to Horgan and its touch and go for Nicki despite doing nothing wrong. So there’s five there straight away which leaves ten.

Yes, completely magnificent in 2001 AIF. Won it for ye, really, which says a lot.

Am I right in saying that rather than sports journalists picking the all stars this year, it will be the players or has that been the case for a while now?

I don’t think I ever saw Ben O’Connor waste a ball, fast, skilful and clever with it. Always seemed to pick off important scores; huge game intelligence.

Kenny and Jerry were 2 machines physically in that era.

2 Likes

I really don’t know, Mike, honest Injun. My impression is that a group of journalists pick the All Stars.

Ben was brilliant. He is right up there.

2 Likes

He’s well able to answer for himself but he might still be in a huff for my earlier temerity to reply to him. He has shoehorned elsewhere, I’m not trawling back through for it but hadn’t he Tommy Walsh corner back. In light of that I think Colin Lynch is a mad pick.

Everyone is entitled to their view of course (much as malarkey may disagree with this). My view is that there’s probably a good eight players more aheah of Colin Lynch for a midfield spot on a best of team since the 90s. It’s actually such a mad pick that it greatly undermines many of his other pronouncements. How can I trust the judgement of a man that picks Colin Lynch in a best team of the last 25 years?

I was under that impression too but the father told me on Sunday that the players picked them this year

Think journalists pick the team and players pick the players of the year

They changed it to players picking the team a couple of years ago and it was a disaster so they’ve gone back to journalists doing it.

1 Like

That was the way as I understood but the father is retired and spends a lot of his time reading up on this kind of stuff

I think you’re being harsh on him. Lynch, at his best, was as good as any of them. Better than them is a matter of debate.

2 Likes

Grand that clears that up thank you

Tommy Walsh was already discussed by him in relation to putting JJ, himself and Whelahan in the one team. Unfortunately someone has to move position to accommodate all three.

1 Like

Spot on. The essence of picking a team. You need the dogs of war.

No one is mentioning – quite understandably – Ollie Baker. But his displays in 1998 were off the charts. Yet he probably had the hurl caught wrong – cannot find an autograph photo online – and had scant enough use of his left side.

Exactly, without him in the 97 Final Tipp may well have got over the line too.

He was a machine in that era

2 Likes

Will find out, Mike, and come back to you.

1 Like

Baker 96 to his Munster final injury in 99 was as physically dominant a player as you were likely to see. He just routinely laid waste to fellas.

Was never the same after 99 though

Yes indeed, that’s clear. I’m not sure if you’re being obtuse on purpose by apparently arguing that one line of reasoning should be followed in relation to lynch while another should be followed for Tommy Walsh?

I agree entirely with that summation, which is eloquent and accurate.

Baker was something else altogether. But never going to last a long time, like Seánie McMahon.