GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Do they have Corkness?

12 Likes

Is there any evidence of Hurling being taken up by non Catholics?

I suppose it depends what you mean by catch on. I wouldn’t expect that you could turn a non traditional county into a All Ireland contender over the course of 20 years but you could certainly grow the numbers fairly easily in a lot of counties which would lift the standard of the county side.

But I think it would be a very onerous undertaking and there would be a huge amount of road blocks put in the way. The very same if a taskforce moved into hurling strongholds trying to grow Gaelic Football or another sport

East Belfast GAA

1 Like

Its a thing I never understood. The bitterness between football and hurling people even within a club. Its the same club/county. Surely people can find ways to make it work.

There was war in Aghada when they went premier intermediate in the hurling and started taking it serious. Lifelong friendships were ended with lads pulling for the same club.

1 Like

Your tears are delicious.

1 Like

I’m not sure. Antrim would be the the only county with any sort of hurling tradition in Ulster and that’s based on a lot a small pocket north of Belfast. Other than that you might have a handful of clubs in every other Ulster county that backbone their county teams.

If Antrim ever kicks off as a GAA power then it will be in the football as that’s the game the big Catholic population base in Belfast play.

Very proud of myself for single handedly shifting the direction this thread has taken this morning.

1 Like

@AlanHQ can offer you a shoulder to cry on.

1 Like

Kildare have potential alright. I’d disagree with Antrim. They are only interested in being the big fish in the small pond of Ulster. You’ll hear about them looking for more funding if Slaughneil win Ulster again.

1 Like

I think they have potential simply due to the fact that they have a big urban area unlike anywhere else in the country outside of Dublin where it could be possible to make inroads.

Hurling is a minority sport in most of the country . Even in the successful counties .

It isn’t very strong in Limerick city , struggling in Cork City , tiny in Galway city .

Kildare could be very strong . Near the heartlands , big population , many people from hurling counties living there & very wealthy

2 Likes

And now Limerick will be split in two.

Perhaps. You could have Naas becoming like Ballygunner and doing a 10 in a row before too long though. Not sure if that will help matters.

In Newbridge, Moorefield and Sarsfields have a way to go to get anywhere near Naas.

1 Like

Where would you draw the line ???

It will need coaching . The new towns of Leixlip , Celvridge , Maynooth (growing) are key .

If they could get a few bad boys from Athy too :innocent::innocent:

I drove through Athy last weekend. Christ it’s one depressing place.

Yeah the likes of Cellbridge look better placed than the Newbridge clubs. Football will always be number 1 in Newbridge I feel.

There’s a lot of tidy young players who’d be brilliant in years long by at a young age. Likes of Barrett and Daly. However they get gobbled up and spat back out by the well oiled monsters of Limerick. Most players by now need to be 24 and filled out to have any hope. Very few light fellas can survive these days