GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

I don’t think there is money pumped into games abroad, not massive money anyway, and money from the US especially is huge for the GAA here. Also I see no reason why growing the game and supporting clubs to be able to play outside Ireland shouldn’t be supported either.

1 Like

The Kilmacud Crokes Hurling Yearbook 2021 is a real Tour de France

2 Likes

Mother of God James McGarry went his whole hurling career and didn’t get one.

Get in line, pal!

“And here comes the special teams unit onto the field…”

3 Likes

He’s the highest scorer from play of all time

14 Likes

:confounded:

Oooft

Ooooft.

Do you also drive a taxi in Paris?

4 Likes

Isn’t that a completely separate issue?
I doubt there’s many hurling supporters who wouldn’t like to see the minor all Ireland as the curtain raiser to the big show.

1 Like

It was nothing to do with the minor all ireland final which wasn’t affected by this.

Sean Kelly brought it in to give the non traditional counties their time in the lime light and an opportunity to play in Croke Park in front of big crowds as curtain raisers to the all ireland semi finals. It was something which was seen as a great move and one which the non traditional hurling counties were thrilled with as they got the opportunity to play on a big day in August rather than just lip service.

Christy Cooney took office and it was one of the first things he changed. Instead the finals were pushed to a standalone day in July shortening their season by a month and guaranteeing that little or no neutral crowd would attend. Nickey Brennan was also not a fan of the curtain raisers and caused some controversy on them as well during his presidency from what I remember.

3 Likes

I was wondering why you said that Cork had kicked up a stink about having to travel to Louth or Mayo or whatever. I don’t recall that happening

With minor being shit now anyway since the change to u17 they may as well put the Joe McDonagh in as a curtain raiser to the All Ireland. Only issue I could see is less tickets for the teams in the AI so maybe a semi would be better

3 Likes

I reckon they’ll try and play the mickey mouse Under 20 Grade as curtain raisers now, seeing as there is no cross over with Senior now.

2 Likes

What has that to do with the 2021 championship/All Stars?

When you look at Cork’s year I don’t think they can have many complaints.

• well beaten by a below par Limerick in the Munster semi final.
  • scraped by a bang average Clare team, with Tony Kelly spurning a gilt edged goal chance at the death.
  • beating Dublin.
  • scraping by a bang average Kilkenny AET.
  • on the receiving end of one of the great All-Ireland final humiliations.

Harnedy was one of the few who didn’t throw in the towel during the final and might have got one for services to Cork hurling but overall I don’t think he deserved one. Hoggy? Jack O’Connor? Sean O’Donoghue? No chance.

5 Likes

Seriously, would it be worth while splitting Limerick in two for the upcoming Munster league, just to trial it? With Cork pulling out there’s a spot free.

4 Likes

I was responding to a post mate

O4U7Tr

3 Likes