GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

In 2014 Lk gave them balls of it in semi and Tipp brought them to a replay in final

They were probably 2 of the harder ones ye won. The competition was much better than it was in 2007 and 2008 anyway. Galway just didn’t have the belief to beat ye in the final in 2015

In fairness 2014 was good alright. I was with @Chicken_George for the drawn game. Great craic with the little Tipp dwarf.

2012 was the year that Galway should have won in fairness

3 Likes

I was listening to one of Dalys podcasts there a while back. He was comparing the current limerick side to that kilkenny team. He made the argument that kilk5 were always fresher coming into aifs as they had a soft run in leinster compared to munster teams having to batter the shite of each other just to get there. He wasn’t challenged on it either. I’m not surprised at that givenit was tj and landers He was discussing it with but I would have like to see him have that debate with someone from Leinster

Ah 2018 was a great year. Cracking Munster championship. Great quarter-final between Limerick and Kilkenny and outstanding set of semi-finals. The drawn Leinster final was engrossing that year too. The final was even endearing in it its own right if not an-time classic like the drawn 2014 game.

2014 had two damp squib quarter-finals. The qualifiers were immense that season though. Cork v Tipp was a very poor semi-final and the Munster final wasn’t overly exciting either. The finals were classics though.

2 Likes

2018 was completely overhyped.

In Munster, Waterford were decimated and Tipp were a shambles. Maybe one good game in the Munster Round Robin - a Cork v Limerick Draw. The Austin Gleeson ghost goal the most memorable moment. Clare played Limerick below in Ennis and it was hyped up the week before hand but it was a huge let down.

Leinster was harmless stuff too.

Then the Quarter Final below in Cork was a total non event and the second one in Thurles was a bit better but shur there was no one at it. The World cup final on the same day took from it.

The Semi’s were grand but overhyped. I was at the Clare v Galway replay in Thurles and it wasn’t a classic.

The AI Final was dreadful stuff and must have broken a world record for wides.

2014 was epic. A great occasion in Cork for the Munster Final before the Old ground was knocked. Limerick beating Tipp felt like a big deal.

In Leinster Galway and Kilkenny played out a great draw while Wexford v Dublin was a grand Saturday night occasion.

The Qualifiers then were something else, Tipp v Galway, Wexford v Clare x2 and Wexford v Waterford.

Quarter finals not great but the semis were great. The Day of the Rain was unreal and the day Tipp sent Cork home with tea in their mugs was tremendous fun.

The Final was the in the top 3 Inter County games ever played and my favourite. The hipsters preferred 2009 but the standard was better in 2014.

1 Like

What a load of nonsense. 2014 is only epic if you’re a Tipp supporter. Outside of the drawn final and the monsoon semi there wasn’t a memorable game in the championship.

You seem to be the type of fella that associates how he is doing with the quality of what is going on around him, sorry to see things have been a bit shit lately. Keep going and the 2014 times will come back around

1 Like

Tipp didn’t even win the AI in 2014!!!

The Knock out nature of Tipp v Galway, Clare v Wexford and Waterford v Wexford made them all great occasions.

That’s been taken away with the round robin nonsense.

1 Like

I would say the standard of Soccer is as good if not better now than it was 10 years ago even as a Mufc fan. Same with Golf and many other sports.

The GAA though have made some terrible, fundamental errors that has dumbed the whole thing down in the last 5 years.

The Tipp lads are very down today. Maybe even a little bit sour. Hopefully they’ll get an extra hug from their sisters tonight.

11 Likes

It wasn’t. It was the most monumental let down of a game I’ve ever attended as a neutral. The crowd booing Cody on the big screen was the highlight.

2 Likes

Whatever about Limerick and should they have got 15, Tipp weren’t within an asses roar of an All Star this year.

1 Like

They all seem that way because Limerick are taking it to another level. This limerick side would beat any other team ever maybe bar KK in 08/09, so in effect all other counties do look average when compared to this limerick side

Not a hope. The sisters are too busy knitting the extra fingers onto the gloves in time for the predicted cold snap in January

1 Like

Clare Tipp was an absolute dinger of a game. Knocked tipp out before the knockouts even began, it was incredible stuff to watch. Leinster was fairly poor that year I’ll agree with that

Carlow always seem to have a few of those what you call ‘generational players’. Before Mouse Kavanagh and Chris Nolan presently, there was Pat Coady and before that there was Paddy Quirke and Cyril Hughes and all the way back to the 1960’s there was Black Willie Walsh and Red Willie Walsh.

2 Likes
1 Like

The reality is that not 1 of the current Cork team would make the team 99 to 2005 . The Tipp team are in massive decline for 4 years at least. The current Kk team are awful .

Lk are the current best by a country mile but the game is in currently a a fairly poor state .

3 Likes