GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

The recent underage results would be a bit concerning I’d say. Took a heavy beating from Kildare at minor. There’s a very good U20 Fitzpatrick from MLR who will probably take over the mantle as the next great Carlow forward. Marty Kavanagh would start for virtually any team in Ireland.

1 Like

I think we can all agree that the championship in general is a lot better when Tipp are in the latter stages. A large amount of the best games of the last 12 years have involved Tipp.

2009 vs Kilkenny
2010 vs Kilkenny
2013 vs Limerick
2013 vs Kilkenny
2014 vs Limerick
2014 vs Galway
2014 vs Kilkenny
2015 vs Galway
2016 vs Galway
2017 vs Cork (I have no memory of this game but the match report called it “epic”)
2017 vs Galway
2018 vs Cork
2018 vs Waterford
2018 vs Clare
2019 vs Wexford
2020 vs Galway
2021 vs Waterford

3 Likes

The reason I’m picking 2014 as a particularly great year was because there was a great crossover between legends of the game like Shefflin, JJ Delaney, Eoin Kelly and Lar Corbett still knocking around, guys like TJ Reid, Richie Hogan, Michael Fennelly, the really good Tipp lads, Joe Canning were all in their pomp and then you had unreal young lads like the Clare lads, Austin Gleeson, De Burca and Cathal Barrett breaking through.

It was a really exciting time.

Now you have a few good Limerick and Waterford lads between 25 and 28, a few 30 somethings from Tipp and Kilkenny and not much else.

Joe Canning retiring is a huge blow to the game.

1 Like

Fiachra Fitzpatrick is very good. The county team is completely drawn from just 5 clubs now. Rangers and St Mullins primarily and the other three senior clubs Ballinkillen, Myshall and Bagenalstown to a lesser extent.

The civil war in Carlow Town hurling over last 20 years and the collapse in Naomh Brid in recent years is very damaging.

They beat ye by about 4 points I think. 2-27 to 1-26 type score line. Big upset but ye were reeling after the league final defeat to Galway. Cathal Barrett went AWOL after it I think.

Tipp v Galway is always a tremendous match to watch. Never fails to entertain.

Could be 6 senior clubs next year? Naomh Brid won intermediate didn’t they?

I juat watched back the All Ireland semi-final there vs Waterford.

Darragh O’Donavan was absolutely outstanding. Delighted for him to get his first All Star along with Will O’Donoghue.

What a sensational midfield pair. They compliment each other extremely well in terms of physicality and distribution. The All Stars middle eight being all Limerick hurlers is spot on.

Delighted for them all. Its a nice individual accolade to get before Christmas.

Nickie Quaid, Gillane and Dan Morrissey were hard done by realistically.

5 Likes

Think they might have had. Not entirely sure though. It’s a problem with amalgamation/parish clubs. When you have three football clubs in the parish and Old Leighlin particularly strong as they have been, fellows are not investing in the hurling. When Naomh Brid were winning seniors in the 90’s and 00’s, the football clubs weren’t going well.

Do you need a pistol and a bottle of vodka?

You’re very informed on Carlow hurling for a blue blooded English man

1 Like

Sure I’m a dual former inter-county hurler.

2 Likes

Amazing

12 all stars on a mug of tae. Never been done before

12 Likes

Who won 2014 All Ireland? For a hurling man i don’t even remember. Shame on me.

1 Like

How is Buff handling this?

1 Like

The cats

Twas a real Cork mushrooms moment, they weren’t given much hope going into it. Did Kingston, Coleman and Fitzgibbon all make day-boos in that game? Lehane was on fire that day as well. Cork hit everything long and diagonal and let pace do the rest basically and made hay.

Ah come off it, Horgan and Harnedy would make any team of any era.

3 Likes

Both of 3 years ago might . Both were done this year .

Harnedy was their best player by a long way this year.