GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

And that my friend is fact.

I never understood the obsession with it - they were designed to Pat a standout lad from a weaker county on the head and over a career the greats would pick up a handful.

a traditionalist would say they should be spread out a bit as an All Ireland medal should be enough and is all that really counts.

Gillane didn’t start one match for Limerick and should have been sent off in another.

And you want him to get an All Star?

So he missed 29 minutes of one game?

1 Like

He scored 2-11 at the business end of the Championship in fairness

1 Like

If he couldn’t make the Limerick team consistently, you’d hardly expect him to make the All Star team now would you?

Consistency is the word of the day here.

He was dropped as a “boot up the hole” exercise and it worked.

Pat Horgan hit 27 points at the business end. Don’t think anyone would say he deserved an All Star.

Gillane had his moments and I wouldn’t have much issue if he got an All Star but I think he was at best Limerick’s 5th and probably their 6th best forward over the course of the championship.

Like sausages in the pan!

I wish I had a sister.

1 Like

Serious question, how many of the LK subs can feel hard done by that they didn’t get an All Star?

Wouldn’t be complaining too much about it. Casey and Flanagan were very strong cases and you can hardly expect the whole line to get one.

Yeah, whatever about Gillane missing out. If he had gotten an All Star at the expense of Flanagan or Casey then I think that would have been a far bigger controversy

1 Like

Didn’t DJ get an All Star in 2002/2003 after only starting two games all year - the semi final and final?

Sure Leahy got one one year and he didn’t play in the championship at all.

1 Like

The days of the token All Star for the League winners are long gone.

1 Like

The backdoor did away with it.

1 Like

I’m not saying he should get one, just laughing at your rationale… There wasn’t a half of hurling all championship long he didn’t play in. Tom Morrissey started against Cork but put in one of his worst displays ever… But because he started that doesn’t matter :grinning:

Most years the league winners at worse reach the chamopiondhp semi finals so matter is moot