GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

That’s the bottom line. There’s no hiding place in the modern game. Limerick are showing the way here. Everyone on the team has to have the ability & mentality to work like a demon. That’s the fundamental prerequisite for success.

1 Like

Funny thing is, Fitzgibbon probably has more raw talent than O’Donovan and O’Donoghue combined. He just doesn’t have the wherewithal to back it up.

1 Like

RL would be a nailed on starter for Cork the last 5 years and that sums it up really for them

4 Likes

Well this is it. Kiely was interviewed after the u21 all Ireland win in 15 against Wexford. I’ll never forget it. He was probably still a bit raw in terms of media and let the mask slip a bit. He was asked why he took off Ronan Lynch and he said “he wasn’t working hard enough” I rest my case

2 Likes

You either have a bit of steel about you or you don’t. I’d argue Fitzgibbon is probably more athletic & every bit as good a hurler as Ben O’Connor. But Ben had that bit of steel in him. Which makes all the difference.
Look at Cathal Naughton when he burst on the scene for Cork, he looked like a world beater with his pace & stick work. Unfortunately for Cork his work rate was more like Fitzgibbons than O’Connors and he never made any real impact after his debut year.

5 Likes

Could he cut it for Castletown-Ballygran in the Limerick Junior Championship though?

5 Likes

You had me after the first sentence.

1 Like

Kiely wouldn’t have him anywhere near a Limerick panel.

I see yet another mistake from “all time great” Eoin Murphy of KK today costing them a goal. Makes a decent save later in the game and has Marty all excited. Will still win the All Star :laughing: It’s a running joke at this stage

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Marty gushing about him is all about Marty. Monaghan should have drove on for another 5 or 10 and bounced it in front of him, instead he made it a straight forward save for a county standard goalkeeper.

Holy Moses. Oh my word.

By all means give the postman a drink at Christmas, but celebrating him every time he opens the letterbox…

9 Likes

Murphy made more than one uncharacteristic error yesterday I thought.

If he managed to get an All Star after his utter capitulation in the All Ireland semi-final last year, he’ll presumably get another one this year.

Éanna Murphy should have saved Donnelly’s goal chance but I thought he generally did well.

Lots of sour grapes with the Limerick lads here today. He didn’t have the best of games yesterday alright. KH as he’s known by now probably slipped him a few bob or a tank full of diesel.

There’s no sour grapes, anyone still trying to claim Eoin Murphy is a better keeper than Nicky Quaid at this point is either on the wind up, severely biased or else hasn’t a notion. It’s clear as day and has been the case for a few years now.

3 Likes

I don’t know about Nicky Quaid, but he’s a better centre back than Declan Hannon.

1 Like

Well done Dessie and Genie.

1 Like

Hurling All Stars as of 7/6/2022

Eoin Murphy

Mikey Butler
Daithi Burke
Barry Nash

Diarmuid Byrnes
John Conlan
Mark Coleman

Will O Donoghue
David Fitzgerald

Heggo
Tony Kelly
Conor Lehane

Ryan Taylor
Seamus Flanagan
Gillane.

2 Likes

Very fair team. Quaid for Murphy maybe.

I’d have David McInerney in for Coleman but aside from that it is a fair enough selection.

1 Like

You couldn’t have Flanagan in there. That was his first good game this year on Sunday.

3 Likes