GAA All Star awards - sponsored by Ferrero Rocher. The chocolate of champions

Fitzgerald was super for Clare this year alright. Powerful.

I’d have in my All-Star team alright. He was very solid all through.

1 Like

Quaid
Nash Lawlor Butler
Byrnes Hannon Mannion
Mullen WOD
Hego Kelly Hayes
Gillane TJ Whelan

1 Like

Let’s be honest it’s 80 or 90% the all ireland series that decides the all stars. Clare struggled past Wexford and gave a no show against KK. Kelly was too good in Munster to forget him but that’s an exception because he was unplayable and it gave him credit in the bank. Fitzgerald is the only other Clare player you could remotely consider really.
Whelan, Cooney, Daithi Burke and Mannion should all be in with a shout. The only limerick starter that is now where near is Mulcahy. KK then have a fair few too.

Finn’s performance the last day is going right under the radar

2 Likes

Some lads have a fierce agin when it comes to SOD. He’s a super hurler who had a great year all in all, reinventing himself and thriving. He’d be well deserved of an All Star, but I’d not trust anything when it comes to these things as they’re a bizarre concept

2 Likes

Any love for Fintan Burke at wing-back, or the much-maligned Paddy Deegan?

Burke was very solid, arguably as much as Mannion. As was Deegan, though he’ll probably pay for the 1-5 coughed up to Hego.

Who is going to get YHOTY I can’t really think of any stand out. Cian Kenny , Cathal O neill? Does Mikey Butler qualify at 22? I’m not sure what the max age is.

Ciaran Joyce has it in the bag. Its an under 21 competition as far as i know.

2 Likes

Good shout, forgot about him.

They should just rename it the Eoin Cody Award and give it to the Ballyhale man again.

1 Like

Spot on.

It’s mental how since changing from 21s to 20s and minor to 17 you have no real stars at a young age in inter county. Gone are the days of lads like TK and Gleeson lighting it up at 19/20. Anyone who’s 21 or younger and gets a start for their county is almost seen as an a generational player. CON and Joyce have been excellent but you always had a few of those when it was 18s and 21s. It’s a right shame

2 Likes

Joyce is still u20 this year in any case.

I actually disagree with those berating the lack of top drawer young players. I would largely say that is owed to the S&C requirements now at senior level.

I would say that they possibly need to increase the age to u22 for the YHOTY due to this.

Nevertheless, there are some outstanding 19, 20 year old players. Joyce is at this stage already one of the best centre backs around. O’Neill walks on to every team besides Limerick. Alan Connolly is already an established full forward at inter county level. Shane Meehan another lad who would certainly have had a serious year if not for injury.

2 Likes

Very good post.

With the additional requirements at S&C added in the game in 2022, and I think you have the 2 main reasons for the decrease in the number of young hurlers bursting onto the Senior scene.

1 Like

The u21 championship next year would be brilliant looking at the top drawer 20 year olds this year

1 Like

I see they have upped the age limit for YHOTY and YFOTY to Under 22 this year.

A massive vindication for @peddlerscross in calling out the lack of any good young players coming through.

1 Like

Ah that’s desperate. So they want to give it Cody for the 3rd time in a row?

Who woukd be the principle candidate in the football, surely that Galway lad at the back? I believe he’s u22 this year?

Cathal O’Neill says hello

1 Like

Joyce, and it’s not close either.

2 Likes

Not a chance